by News Staff Posted Mar 22, 2014 3:15 pm MDT Business as usual in Alberta’s push for Keystone despite Redford’s resignation AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email Alberta’s leadership may be in the midst of a change-up, but the energy minister is assuring the government will stay the course for projects like the Keystone XL pipeline, that would bring Alberta crude oil to Texas, and the Kinder Morgan pipeline, that would move crude oil to Burnaby, BC.Diana McQueen is losing two political champions of the projects as Premier Allison Redford’s resignation goes into effect Sunday, and Federal Minister Joe Oliver drops his natural resources portfolio to inherit Canada’s finances from Jim Flaherty.McQueen said she is still optimistic going forward.“I’m going to continue and I know our government will continue to work very hard on these projects, these are extremely important for Alberta, for our other provinces and for our nation as a whole, and it’s job one for me,” said McQueen.She was in Houston last week promoting the project, saying she would be personally available as the U.S. mulls over the impact statement on the pipeline.“What we’ve said to Washington is, anytime if they need more information, I’ve offered that myself,” said McQueen. “We respect the decision-making process they’re in right now, but if there is any additional information they need, or if they need us down in Washington, we’ll be there in a minute.”Obama has said he will wait for a 90-day comment period on the impact report before making any kind of decision or announcement on the pipeline.They are about one-third of the way into that timeframe.
Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedBurnt, dismembered remains believed to be human found in CorentyneOctober 6, 2017In “Crime”Corentyne murder accused for court todayJanuary 29, 2016In “Crime”Another decomposed Fisherman washes ashore; Three remain missingJuly 28, 2014In “Crime” The skeletal remains of an unidentified person washed ashore at Number 52 Village, Corentyne, on Friday. Divisional Commander Ian Amsterdam has confirmed that Police will have to conduct a DNA test to determine who the remains belong to.However, there are fears that the remains may be linked to the three fishermen who went missing on May 29, 2016. The men disappeared into the muddy waters of the Corentyne River after reportedly being tied to anchors and thrown out of a boat by pirates who had earlier stolen their catch.Those missing are Dochan Sukra, 54, also called “Butcher” of Number 55 Village; Dhanpaul Rampaul of Number 67 Village; and Munish Churman, 26, also called “Boyo” of Number 60 Village.Police are continuing with their investigations.
Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedJagdeo, Granger to meet early JanuaryDecember 24, 2018In “latest news”Opposition Leader briefs Western Diplomats on no-confidence voteDecember 28, 2018In “latest news”Opposition Leader says willing to meet President anytime, and daily to chart way forwardJune 26, 2019In “latest news” President David GrangerPresident David Granger returned home from Cuba on New Year’s Day after receiving his third round of chemotherapy for Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.The Head of State’s return is anticipated since it would pave the way for talks with Opposition Leader Dr Bharrat Jagdeo on the way forward regarding the passage of the No-Confidence Motion against his Coalition Government on December 21.However, a date for that meeting is yet to be set.The motion, which was tabled by Jagdeo, was successfully passed with Alliance For Change (AFC) Parliamentarian, Charrandas Persaud, voting in favour.Following its passage, Jagdeo requested to meet with President Granger to determine the way forward.However, Granger left Guyana on Christmas day for Cuba where he is receiving treatment after being diagnosed with cancer in November.According to the President’s press unit he returned home on New Year’s Day.The Opposition Leader had earlier indicated his willingness to meet at any given time providing that the Government is ready for dialogue.President Granger, in his New Year’s address to the Guyanese people, renewed his commitment to furthering the dialogue.However, his sentiments comes on the heels of his government gearing to challenge the passage of the motion in the National Assembly, contending that the motion needed a 34-majority vote to be approved.In fact, they have written the Speaker of the National Assembly, Dr Barton Scotland, who had declared the motion passed, to review and reverse the his decision.This matter is expected to come up at Thursday’s sitting of the National Assembly.Attorney General Basil Williams earlier this week said that if government fails to get a favourable result in the House, it will move to the courts.This is as President Granger and Prime Minister Moses Nagamootoo had previously acknowledged the passage of the motion, publicly accepting that government was defeated and that in accordance with Guyana’s constitution General Elections would be held within 90 days.The Opposition People’s Progressive Party (PPP) has since contended that Government’s back-pedaling on accepting the vote is a ploy so that they could hold on to power longer.According to the Party the sentiments expressed by the Granger led Administration are baseless, with Government wasting a valuable opportunity for dialogue and exhibition of mature leadership.