WhatsApp Twitter Proceedures and appointments cancelled again at UHL Advertisement Previous articleVisitor numbers soar at eagles’ viewing pointNext articleNew support group for Limerick women experiencing separation Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Walk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April NewsBreaking newsExhumation begins at Rathkeale as gardai investigate murder probeBy Staff Reporter – September 16, 2014 542 Linkedin Facebook Shannondoc operating but only by appointment Surgeries and clinic cancellations extended RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Email Print No vaccines in Limerick yet TAGSfeatured Andrew Carey in [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up THE exhumation of a woman found dead in her home over 20 years ago has begun at St Mary’s Burial ground in Rathkeale this Tuesday morning. Limerick woman Margot Seery was found dead in her apartment following a night out and at her inquest, it was found that she died of asphyxiation after choking. However, in a new development to the case, gardai and detectives attached to the cold case unit in Terenure were given new information into the possible circumstances surrounding the woman’s death. Following the granting of an application to the Minister for Justice earlier this summer seeking permission to exhume the body, more than a dozen gardai from the technical crime scene investigation unit and the cold case unit arrived shortly after 7am this Tuesday to begin the work of exhuming the remains of Ms Seery. A garda cordon was put in place at what has been deemed a crime scene as gravediggers started their work. The family plot at St Mary’s Burial ground also has the remains of Ms Seery’s parents as well as her late aunt. A second post mortem is expected to be carried out later at University Hospital Limerick as gardai further investigate this murder probe which is being led by Det Insp George McGeary West Limerick coroner Brendan Nix arrived on scene and said that he had “nothing but the height of praise for what is being done in these difficult circumstances”. More to follow. First Irish death from Coronavirus
PREPARATIONS for the Caribbean Basketball Confederation (CBC) U-17 National 3×3 Tournament are set to commence in the new week, says Guyana Amateur Basketball Association (GABA) Junior Hercules.The tournament is set to be hosted in February in the island of St Lucia. According to Hercules, the official email which includes tourney dates and other details will arrive in the new week.“Preparations will start in the new week specific to readiness of the players and rules etc,” said Hercules. He added that during the upcoming week he will reach out to the players for their passport documents and verifications.He was also of the opinion that in order for there to be good preparation, access should be afforded to multiple all-weather playing venues.“I will discuss a possible engagement with the Federation to see the selected team’s training time, rules overview and games to test (their) readiness” Hercules stated.The National team that will be representing Guyana is the Kwakwani Combine team which featured three Junior National players who competed in the Inter Guiana Games (IGG) in October.The team is made up of Stanton Rose, Jamal Gilkes, Timothy Thompson and Jonathan Mangra with the former two hailing from Kwakwani. Rose is also the reigning Road to Mecca 3 MVP and National School Basketball Festival MVP.Commenting on the team Hercules stated, “Rose is the best young player in the country, Thompson has shown he has the potential, Mangra has some experience and has proved he can play. Gilkes is very talented and just needs some polishing so for that age group it’s the best we have.”Hercules highlighted strategy, skills and consistency as the factors needed to win the tournament.
There will be no spectators at matches.The season was scheduled to start on April 4 but was suspended because of the coronavirus outbreak.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Chernyshenko says “both players and fans have missed the vivid emotions of a match and the noise from the stands. Soon all this will return.”The move could help clubs stem losses from refunding ticket holders.Only neighboring Belarus is currently holding professional soccer games with fans in the stadium.___The top two divisions of the Swedish league have been given the go-ahead to start their seasons on June 14. ___The Pan Pacific Swimming Championships won’t be held as planned in 2022 because of a crowded international sporting schedule brought on by the coronavirus pandemic.Canada was scheduled to host the quadrennial event in 2022 but instead will host in 2026.Swimming Canada says charter nations Australia, Canada, Japan and the United States “agreed to defer” the event.The Tokyo Olympics were postponed to 2021. That then led to the swimming world championships being pushed back to May 2022. Associated Press Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___The reshaped English soccer season is set to end with the FA Cup final on Aug. 1. The Spanish soccer league could use virtual crowds when the competition resumes in empty stadiums next month.Spanish league president Javier Tebas says the league is working with the possibility of giving fans different options on how to watch the matches on television. He says they may be able to choose either the original feed with no fans or an alternative one with crowds superimposed on the stands.Tebas says fans may also have the option of hearing pre-recorded crowd noise or stick with the live sound from the empty stadiums.Tebas says the Spanish league is expected to resume on June 11 and finish on July 19. The next season would start on Sept. 12. The European competitions are set to be played after the end of the domestic leagues.Tebas says he wants two or three league matches to be played every day until the end of the competition. The Football Association has announced provisional dates for the remaining rounds of the competition a day after the Premier League said it planned to restart on June 17.The quarterfinals of the FA Cup are scheduled to take place over the weekend of June 27-28 and the semifinals on July 11-12.The semifinals and final are usually held at Wembley Stadium. The FA says further information on venues will be announced later.The FA says the match dates are dependent on safety measures being met as lockdown measures are gradually eased during the coronavirus pandemic.___ The 2020 Junior Pan Pacific Championships were moved to August 2022 in Hawaii.___Fans will be in the stadiums when the Russian soccer league restarts next month.The Russian government’s coronavirus task force says spectators will be allowed if they don’t exceed 10% of the stadium’s capacity.The Russian league previously announced it will resume games on June 21. The Latest: FA Cup final in England set for Aug. 1 May 29, 2020