The move came just as the United States was rejoicing that its criticism of China was gaining ground, with several countries questioning China’s made-for-cameras deliveries of medical supplies, France summoning Beijing’s ambassador and African nations furious over Chinese discrimination against their nationals.China — which offers a sliver of the more than $400 million sent to the WHO each year by Washington — said it was “seriously concerned” that the US aid cut would weaken international cooperation, while a senior Russian official called Washington “selfish.”Brett Schaefer, a senior research fellow at Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank that is usually supportive of Trump, agreed with criticism of the WHO response but said the United States had bungled the message.The United States has already delivered most of this year’s WHO contribution, so Trump’s announcement makes other countries believe falsely that the decision will have a major impact, Schaefer said. Topics : “There has been a great deal of frustration and anger expressed by a number of different countries about China’s response and its role in the spread of COVID-19 around the world, and I think the president’s decision diverts attention from that issue onto the decision of the United States,” he said.Schaefer said that the United States would have been better served by conditioning future WHO aid on an investigation into its COVID-19 response, as well as highlighting the $500 million in bilateral aid the United States has already promised over the virus. With his brash move to stop funding the World Health Organization in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic, President Donald Trump may score points at home but is handing an opportunity that China is delighted to exploit.Critics say Trump is eager to find a scapegoat as thousands of Americans die from COVID-19, even if there is broad agreement in Washington that the WHO was too eager to please China when the virus first emerged in the metropolis of Wuhan.Trump, who has fiercely criticized UN agencies and foreign aid as part of his “America First” philosophy, said Tuesday that the United States was freezing funding to the WHO for “severely mismanaging and covering up the spread” of the virus that has sickened more than two million people. ‘Self-inflicted wound’ The Trump administration accuses the WHO and its leader, Ethiopian doctor turned diplomat Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, of failing to challenge China’s initial assertions that the virus was transmitted between humans. Tedros flew to Beijing in late January and praised China as transparent.But Trump himself had initially praised China in similar terms and in January said his administration had the virus “totally under control.” Since then, COVID-19 has killed more than 25,000 people in the United States.Derek Chollet, executive vice president of the German Marshall Fund of the United States, called the WHO announcement a “self-inflicted wound” that symbolically showed the United States stepping back from its historic leadership role.”And to the extent that the world has been paying attention to the US’s own response, the US is not looking like an ally that can be relied upon,” said Chollet, who served in former president Barack Obama’s administration.”Obviously this is an attempt to try to blame China for this. It could end up playing to the Chinese advantage as they use it to make a case to the world that the US is the problem,” he said. ‘Cutting off ammunition’ But Chollet said it was too early to see if China’s efforts would succeed and said that US allies were accustomed to Washington feuds over funding — in which Congress can reverse course.Senator Patrick Leahy, the top Democrat on the subcommittee in charge of State Department funding, said Trump was essentially “cutting off ammunition to an ally as the enemy closes in.””Not wanting to take responsibility as the deaths continue to mount, he blames others,” Leahy said.”WHO could have been more forceful with China and declared a global health emergency sooner, but it is performing an essential function and needs our strong support.” Public health advocates also widely condemned the move. Bill Gates, the Microsoft billionaire who is one of the WHO’s largest private funders, said that the world needed the UN body “now more than ever.””Their work is slowing the spread of COVID-19 and if that work is stopped no other organization can replace them,” Gates said.But Trump, who is gearing up for November elections, enjoyed favorable coverage in conservative media and on the right of his Republican Party.”Good. If the WHO wants to keep getting money from American taxpayers, it shouldn’t be carrying water for the Chinese Communist Party,” tweeted Representative Mark Green of Tennessee.
The flow of play was relatively even, each side ending up with a handful of direct looks. B’ville could not get any of its four shots home, but F-M did so thanks to a single goal from Avery Moses.Otherwise, Smiley turned everything back and finished with five saves, but none of the Bees’ four shots were able to get past Hornets goalie Claire Grenis.For the most part, ESM had held its own against Salt City Athletic Conference competition this fall, and last Tuesday’s match at B’ville further proved that point. Each of the Fayetteville-Manlius and East Syracuse Minoa field hockey teams would have their own encounters with the Baldwinsville Bees during last week’s action, with various results.In the Hornets’ case, it took a 10-1-1 record into its match with the Bees and, once again, found it to be stressful, F-M able to escape with its defense and just enough to production to win 1-0.When these teams had first met Sept. 16 at Pelcher-Arcaro Stadium, it went to overtime and F-M pulled it out 2-1. Nearly a month later, it again was difficult for the two sides to separate. However, the Spartans lost, 3-2, to the Bees, not quite able to overcome a slow start as B’ville, led by Emma Brushingham (who scored twice), grabbed a 2-0 halftime advantage.Fighting back, ESM saw Rileigh White and Angelina Dodge earn unassisted goals in the second half, and it had all kinds of chances for more, only to get turned away as Bees goalie Sara Smiley had 13 saves. Maura Leib had seven saves.Two nights later, the Spartans were back home, facing a Cazenovia side that blanked Liverpool 2-0 earlier in the week. Here, the Spartans would not get beat, but have to settle for a 1-1 draw with the Lakers.During the first half, ESM fell behind thanks to a goal from Cazeonvia’s Peyton Clarke, assisted by Ava Hartley. But the Spartans pulled even in the second half as Olivia Grabowski converted.ESM controlled the flow of play through most of the night and in the six-on-six overtime period. Only the splendid work of Lakers goalie Mackenzie Halliday, who had nine saves, kept it even.In Saturday’s regular-season finale against New Hartford, ESM looked to improve to 9-3-4 and had no problem doing so, getting away from those other Spartans in a 7-0 romp.Grace Stone’s pair of goals led a well-balanced ESM attack. Dodge, White, Maggie Saunders, Lauren Miller and Kodi Smith each found the net, too, with Dodge and Mary Searle earning assists.Though the Spartans’ regular season is done, F-M, starting on Wednesday, plays three times in four days, all of them at home, with Cazenovia in the middle after the Hornets faced Cortland and before a match against Canastota.Share this:FacebookTwitterLinkedInRedditComment on this Story Tags: ESMF-Mfield hockey
The game gets underway at 4.30 and Tipp FM will have full live coverage in association with Spar Express, 24 hour service station, Turtulla, Thurles Commercials go into the game as favourites with well known players such as Seamus Kennedy, Aldo Matassa and Michael Quinlivan while Moyle Rovers will call on Peter Acheson, Martin Dunne and Liam Boland to lead the way.Commercials manager Charlie McGeever feels his team will have to play better than they did in the semi final to win this one.Local Journalist Eamon Wynne believes both teams will impose their game on the opposition
Newcastle yesterday won a Premier League home game for the first time since October with a surprise victory over second-placed Manchester United. It was same nightÂ Liverpool moved to within two points of of Mourinho side after goals from Roberto Firmino and Mohamed Salah secured a comfortable victory over struggling Southampton.Matt Ritchie scored the only goal in the second half as the Magpies climbed out of the relegation zone and left the visitors 16 points adrift of leaders Manchester City.The Red Devils missed a string of chances to take something from a ground at which manager Jose Mourinho is yet to win a league match.But debutant Martin Dubravka was excellent in the Newcastle goal, denying Jesse Lingard, Anthony Martial, Ashley Young and Michael Carrick.And the hosts could have had a first-half penalty when Chris Smalling tripped Dwight Gayle.Defeat for Manchester United raises the prospect of Manchester City being crowned champions when the teams meet at Etihad Stadium onÂ 7 April.Should both teams win all of their league matches prior to that, City would only need to draw with their fierce rivals to secure the title that day.Mourinho said after the game that Newcastle had fought “like animals” – and the hosts certainly produced a fierce and committed performance.The Magpies made more sprints (553 to their opponents’ 490), ran further (115km to 105km), and in DeAndre Yedlin and Ritchie had the game’s fastest and most industrious players.Manager Rafael Benitez may be hoping recent signing Islam Slimani, who missed this game, can add more to an attack that only managed three shots on target, but Ritchie was clinical when it mattered.Â The impressive Jonjo Shelvey sent in a free-kick that the equally eye-catching Florian Lejeune headed down, and Ritchie collected Gayle’s flick to shoot past David de Gea.That ended a run of 43 shots without a Premier League goal for Ritchie – and gave Newcastle their first home win in the league since 21 October.Prior to the match they were just one point better off than in their 2015-16 relegation season, but this win moved them up to 13th – and only three points behind 10th-placed Bournemouth.Mourinho’s decision to select the same starting XI that lost convincingly to top-four rivals Tottenham last month may have unsettled some visiting fans.But, while the Red Devils were much better here than during an abject display at Wembley, some familiar flaws resurfaced.Then, Phil Jones missed a crucial first header in the build-up to Christian Eriksen’s early goal. Here, nobody tracked Lejeune as he ran between Nemanja Matic and Paul Pogba to head down for Ritchie to score.Smalling won just 53% of his headed duels, compared to 77% and 75% respectively for Newcastle’s central-defensive pairing of Lejeune and Jamaal Lascelles.It suggests a defensive diffidence at odds with a manager who traditionally builds title-winning teams from the back.Overall, the visitors had the better chances but were thwarted by Dubravka, who notably stuck out a leg to deny Martial as he latched onto a wonderful, defence-splitting pass from Nemanja Matic in the first half.Had that chance – or a header from the French forward – gone in, there may well have been a different outcome.Instead, with Spurs and Liverpool increasing the pressure on them, Mourinho’s side must assert more aerial dominance and show better focus at the back.In the Liverpool match, Brazil forward Firmino gave his side an early lead with his 20th goal of the season when he finished off a Liverpool counter-attack after being teed up Salah.Southampton then twice brought saves out of Reds goalkeeper Loris Karius, before Liverpool added a second through Salah after he exchanged passes with Firmino.It was the Egypt international’s 29th goal of the season for the club from 36 appearances in all competitions.Liverpool looked the more likely to score again after half-time as they controlled possession, and only some last-ditch defending prevented a greater margin of victory.The win ensured Liverpool took advantage ofÂ United’s 1-0 defeat by Rafael Benitez’s NewcastleÂ side earlierÂ on SundayÂ and leapfrogged Tottenham back into third place.Southampton drop into the relegation zone, a point behind Huddersfield who beat Bournemouth 4-1, with further scrutiny of the position of manager Mauricio Pellegrino likely.Â Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
Hockey League leaders, Trustees of SSNIT, recovered twice to beat second Golden Sticks of the Ghana Commercial Bank, 3-2 to open a five-point gap at the top last Saturday.It was a drama-filled match at the ongoing Dwadifo Adanfo Greater Accra Hockey League at the National Hockey Stadium.Former Africa Best Youth Player, Jonny Botsio, scored a classic winner on the stroke of full time but two players, Prince Morrison of Golden Sticks and Emmanuel Obeng of Trustees, had to be rushed to hospital after a reckless clash.The rumour was rife even before push-off, where key players of Trustees were reported sick, which nearly caused the cancellation of the match. SWAG Player of the Year, Salya Insalbini, number one goalkeeper, Eugene Acheampong, and defender, Samuel Afari all sat out of the match due to sudden illness but their absence ironically gingered the boys to stretch their lead.Playmaker Joseph Appiah lived up to the hype to open the score for Golden Sticks on seven minutes but it was cancelled two minutes later by Mathew Damalie setting the stage for a crack game.Appiah was on hand again on the 18th minute from a similar field’s goal but their joy was blown off on the 48th and 70th minutes when substitute Frederick Darko and lead striker, Botsio, scored to deflate Golden Sticks. The win takes Trustees to 15 points ahead of Golden Sticks who have 10 points, and Police, seven.The Police versus Exchequers match was called off due to the passing out of some new recruits in Kumasi.Isaac Moses, Ebenezer Frimpong and Kenneth Nyame all scored to give the Ghana Revenue Authority (CEPS) men’s team a gleeful 3-0 win over Reformers of the Prisons Service while Real Ambassadors thrashed Tema Youth 4-0.
Freshen up with a new pair of boots with a great offer from our sponsors X-Blades. Purchase a pair of Genius 200R or Genius 210R over the next two weeks and X-Blades will throw in a free boot bag.The Genius range is a lightweight and supportive boot perfect for the rigours of Touch Football. X-Blades will also have a pop up shop at the upcoming Touch Football World Cup with great deals on a variety of products. For further information or to view the X-Blades range click on the link below: www.bladesfootball.com.au/shopRelated LinksFree Boot Bag Boots looking a little worse for wear after National Touch League?
Agent: Many teams would like Chelsea fullback Emersonby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveThe agent of Chelsea fullback Emerson Palmieri has opened the door to a move to Inter Milan.Emerson moved from Roma to Stamford Bridge for €20m a year ago, but has struggled for playing time.His agent Fernando Garcia was asked about a move to Inter.He told FCInterNews: “I think all the top European clubs would like to have a player like Emerson Palmieri in their squad. There has been some interest, although nothing formal, so there is nothing to report now.“I cannot talk about the clubs who approached us. I don’t think he’ll leave Chelsea now.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
Leyton Orient name Carl Fletcher as head coachby Paul Vegas8 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveLeyton Orient have named Carl Fletcher as head coach.The 39-year-old has agreed a two-year contract at Brisbane Road and arrives from Bournemouth, where his most recent position was loan manager.Fletcher takes over from caretaker boss Ross Embleton, who has filled the vacancy since the death of Justin Edinburgh in June.Orient director of football Martin Ling told the club website: “The board went through the interview process with Carl and he kept coming out on top.”He has leadership skills, which he obviously had as a captain of many teams he was at including his country. Everything that we were looking for, he ticked every box.”Everyone we spoke to said everything we wanted to hear. We spoke to Stephen Purches at Bournemouth, we had people speak to Eddie Howe and Charlie Daniels.”We spoke to a couple players who played under him at Plymouth as well as the people at board level at Bournemouth and they all said the same thing – they believe he’s going to make a top-class football manager.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
The Canadian Press OTTAWA — Canadians hoping to receive packages from international shippers while rotating strikes impact Canada Post operations may be waiting a long time.Britain’s Royal Mail says it is suspending shipments to Canada as a result of the Crown corporation’s labour dispute.Online marketing giant eBay says it has also received a similar notification from China Post.In a bulletin to its corporate customers, the Royal Mail says items shipped in the last couple of days bound for Canada are being held in its distribution centre until the dispute has been resolved.The U.K. mail service says it made the move at the request of Canada Post, which it says has told them it is now facing delays of at least 30 days in delivering packages.Earlier this week, eBay called on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to legislate an end to the rotating walkouts, which began Oct. 22.
NEW YORK — The holiday shopping season has gotten off to a “very strong” start, according to the largest U.S. retail trade group.The National Retail Federation said Tuesday that consumer spending has been strong, fueled by a better economy and stores’ investments in online services including features that allow shoppers to buy online and pick up the items at the store.The trade group’s assessment comes even after a survey of more than 3,000 shoppers Thanksgiving and Friday forecast that fewer people would turn out for the five-day weekend that ended Monday, compared to a year ago.This year, there were more than 165 million people who shopped online or in stores from Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday, based on survey results. Last year, that figure was 174 million. The retail group attributed the drop to stores spreading out their deals beyond the Black Friday weekend.“This was a very strong holiday weekend,” said Bill Thorne, a spokesman at the trade group.The group now says it expects sales for November and December will be at the high end of its earlier forecast of a 4.3 to 4.8 per cent rise. That would be below last year’s 5.3 per cent increase but well above the average annual increase of 3.9 per cent of the past five years.Meanwhile, Adobe Analytics, which tracks online spending, said that Cyber Monday was expected to have hit $7.9 billion, up 19.7 per cent from last year.Thanksgiving Day generated $3.7 billion in online spending, up 28 per cent, while Black Friday brought in $6.2 billion, a 23.6 per cent increase from a year ago, according to Adobe.Mobile devices accounted for 51.4 per cent of site visits and 34 per cent of revenue on Cyber Monday. So far, the period from Nov. 1 through Monday has generated online sales of $58.5 billion, up 19.9 per cent, Adobe said.Anne D’Innocenzio, The Associated Press