Tajik journalist allowed to fly back to Germany

first_imgNews Organisation News GeorgiaEurope – Central Asia Concern about alleged plot to murder Georgian TV host October 1, 2020 Find out more News Mounting pressure on Georgia’s media in run-up to elections July 20, 2020 Find out more Help by sharing this information to go furthercenter_img Follow the news on Georgia At least five journalists attacked while covering Georgia’s election campaign August 21, 2013 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Tajik journalist allowed to fly back to Germany Receive email alerts RSF_en Reporters Without Borders is relieved to learn that Dodojon Atovulloyev, a well-known Tajik journalist and government opponent, has been given permission to leave Tbilisi airport and fly back to Germany, where he has political refugee status.Atovulloyev had been held at the airport since dawn yesterday. The Georgian interior ministry said he was detained by airport border guards, not the police, at Interpol’s request.Reporters Without Borders is pleased that he has not been extradited to Tajikistan, where he has been the victim of political persecution.—–20.08.2013 – Tajik opposition journalist detained on Interpol warrant in GeorgiaReporters Without Borders calls on the Georgian authorities to quickly release Dodojon Atovulloyev, a well-known Tajik journalist and government opponent who was detained shortly after landing at Tbilisi airport at 3:40 p.m. today. Atovulloyev says the Georgian police arrested him on an Interpol warrant.“Under no circumstances should Atovulloyev be handed over to the Tajik authorities,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Germany has granted him refugee status. His enforced return to Tajikistan would violate the international convention on refugee rights.“The Tajik government has for years been using all kinds of means to get its hands on this journalist. The arrest warrant that it apparently sent to Interpol is just its latest scheme.”A leading opponent of President Emomali Rakhmon’s government, Atovulloyev is also the founder and editor of the Tajik monthly Charogi Ruz (Daylight), independent Tajikistan’s first privately-owned newspaper, which is well-known for its fierce criticism of the regime. Atovulloyev fled Tajikistan in 1993 after receiving death threats and being the repeated target of judicial proceedings.Persecution of the government’s opponents in exile has been growing in the run-up to presidential elections scheduled for November. Umarali Quvvatov was briefly detained in Dubai last December. Former Prime Minister Abdumalik Abdullajanov was arrested in Kiev in February, while Atovulloyev survived a murder attempt in Moscow in January 2012.Last month, Atovulloyev was denied entry to Russia, where Charogi Ruz is now produced. The media recently reported that pressure was being put on his 83-year-old mother in an attempt to force him to return to Tajikistan.Atovulloyev nowadays hosts a weekly programme on K+, an independent Central Asian TV station, which has raised his profile in Tajikistan even more.“My K+ programme is really irritating the Rakhmon government,” he told Reporters Without Borders by phone. “I am currently at the airport but I am being treated well. I cannot complain about the Georgian police, who are just doing their duty as regards Georgia’s membership of Interpol.”More background on Dodojon Atovulloyev News GeorgiaEurope – Central Asia June 18, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

Limerick students learn to finance their future

first_imgNewsEducationLimerick students learn to finance their futureBy Liam Togher – April 30, 2014 889 Changes to the Student Support Scheme for people living in Direct Provision Advertisement Print Twitter Previous articleLimerick’s latest prize bond millionaireNext articleLimerick people Keane to support guide dogs Liam Togherhttp://www.limerickpost.ieLiam joined the Limerick Post in December 2012, having previously worked in other local media organisations. He holds an MA in Journalism from the University of Limerick and is particularly interested in sports writing. Students in Limerick colleges to benefit from more than €1.5M funding to assist with online learning RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Limerick schools urged to get involved in STEM challenge STUDENTS from Laurel Hill Secondary School took part in a financial literacy programme under tuition from volunteers from Dell.‘Finance Your Future’ is a six-week programme sponsored by the Citi Foundation, with transition year students around Ireland learning about the importance of financial management, the importance of education and its role in improving potential earning power and using credit and cash wisely.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The programme began in 2012 and has educated more than 3,000 students nationwide in financial literacy modules. Volunteers from a variety of support organisations, including Dell, have delivered the lessons to students in a classroom setting.More than 90 Laurel Hill students enjoyed the programme taught to them by Dell volunteers Siobhan O’Connor, Stephen Martin and Fearghal Carroll, and career guidance counsellor Eithne Lyons said that the students took enormous benefit from ‘Finance Your Future’.“It is an excellent programme. The students learned through group work, interaction and activities – a perfect recipe.“Siobhan, Fearghal and Stephen are great role models for the students, giving them a real taste of life in the workplace and also how good financial decisions impact on their lives now and in the long term. We are grateful to both Citi and Dell for giving our students this opportunity.”center_img Linkedin Email Facebook TAGSCitiDELLeducationEithne LyonsFearghal CarrollfinanceFinance Your FutureLaurel Hill ColáisteSiobhan O’ConnorStephen Martin WhatsApp Education and Training Board serves up award winning standards Limerick social entrepreneurs honoured for their work in response to covid-19 Consultation process on a new action plan for apprenticeship launchedlast_img read more

First-time buyers make up nearly half of all mortgages

first_imgFirst-time buyers in this country now account for almost half of all homes purchased with a mortgage, a rise of 38 per cent since 2011, owed in part to a surge in first-time buyer mortgage deals, new research shows.The study from the Halifax revealed that first-time buyers make up 47 per cent of all mortgage-aided acquisitions, while the deposit that they have to pay has increased by 6 per cent over the past 12 months to an average of £29,894, reflecting a general rise in property prices over the past year. The average first-time deposit is now 82 per cent or £13,494 higher than in 2007.Overall there were an estimated 139,500 first-time buyers in the first six months of this year, down 7 per cent year-on-year, but while this is the first annual decrease on this basis since the first half of 2011, it is still the highest total for the first six months of the year since 2007.Craig McKinlay (left), Halifax Mortgages Director, said, “There was a modest decline in the number of first time buyers in the first half of the year following the substantial increases recorded in 2013 and 2014. This fall has been in line with the general softening in market activity.“However, there are now signs of a pick-up in mortgage activity as the economy continues to recover and mortgage interest rates remain at very low levels. These factors could boost the number of first-time buyers during the second half of the year.”The number of first-time buyer mortgage products now available has soared to its highest level since 2007, with the number of 90 per cent and 95 per cent loan-to-value (LTV) mortgages now totalling 723 products.“This marks a 73 per cent increase on five years ago, when buyers with small deposits only had the choice of 194 products,” said Charlotte Nelson (right), Finance Expert at Moneyfacts.co.uk.She added, “Surprisingly, Help-to-Buy doesn’t account for all of these new products, but with the number of deals totalling 437 before the scheme was launched, it is clear that H2B acted as a catalyst for banks and building societies to get in on the act.”With mortgage competition fierce, the average rates for 95 per cent LTV deals have dropped to the lowest on record, with the average two-year fixed rate now standing at 4.47 per cent.“The boost in numbers and the lower rates suggest that lenders are finally recognising the importance of first-time buyers, who have often been considered the life-blood of the housing market,” Nelson added.Halifax mortgages Moneyfacts.co.uk Charlotte Nelson Craig McKinlay first-time buyers July 8, 2015The NegotiatorWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles 40% of tenants planning a move now that Covid has eased says Nationwide3rd May 2021 Letting agent fined £11,500 over unlicensed rent-to-rent HMO3rd May 2021 BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 Home » News » Housing Market » First-time buyers make up nearly half of all mortgages previous nextHousing MarketFirst-time buyers make up nearly half of all mortgagesThe average first-time deposit is now 82 per cent or £13,494 higher than in 2007.The Negotiator8th July 20150694 Viewslast_img read more

French footballers to go on trial for soliciting minor

first_imgTwo French football stars, Franck Ribery and Karim Benzema, are to go on trial in Paris on charges of paying for sex with an under-age prostitute.Both deny the allegations and the girl involved, Zahia Dehar, has said neither player knew she was not 18 at the time.Ms Dehar, now 21, is a household name after launching her own fashion label.Under French law, paid sex with someone under the age of 18 is regarded as sex with a minor – punishable by three years in prison and a 45,000-euro fine.Six other people have been charged over the affair, which broke before the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. Some of them are accused of “aggravated pimping”.Prostitution ringMr Ribery, a Bayern Munich midfielder, escaped his childhood deprivation in northern France to become one of Europe’s highest-paid footballing stars, the BBC’s Christian Fraser in Paris reports. He cultivated a wholesome image as a family man, married to his childhood sweetheart, and also as an observant convert to Islam, our correspondent adds.But in 2010, he and Mr Benzema, a Real Madrid star, were arrested as part of an investigation into a Paris prostitution ring.Mr Ribery has since admitted he had sex with Algerian-born Zahia Dehar in Munich in 2009, when she was aged 17.Mr Benzema meanwhile denies there was any encounter; Ms Dehar says he paid her for sex in 2008, when she was only 16.In France, the age for consenting sex is 15, but soliciting a prostitute under 18 is a crime. Ms Dehar told investigators that neither footballer had known her real age – because she had lied to them.The state prosecutor had asked for the case to be dropped in November 2009, but the investigating judge said Ms Dehar looked so young that they must have known.Mr Ribery’s lawyer, Carlo-Alberto Brusa, says Ms Dehar travelled across borders for paid sex and knew exactly what she was doing.“In French law, it’s not forbidden to make love to a woman and even to pay her for it, what is forbidden is to do it with a minor,” he told the Reuters news agency. “When a woman travels around Europe by plane, can you imagine thinking for one second that she’s a minor?”He will ask on Tuesday for the case to be thrown out. Neither player will appear at the hearings. Following the launch of the high-profile investigation, Ms Dehar became fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld’s muse and protegee, launching her own luxury lingerie line.last_img read more