‘Peaceful’ Hong Kong march marred by fire

first_img“Although the event was generallypeaceful, acts of breaching public peace happened afterwards,” the police addedon Monday.  Protesters attend a Human Rights Day march in the district of Causeway Bay in Hong Kong, China on Dec. 8. REUTERS/LAUREL CHOR HONG KONG – Protesters set fireoutside court buildings, threw petrol bombs and spray-painted graffiti ongovernment buildings, marring what was otherwise a “generally peaceful” marchover the weekend, police said.center_img Vast crowds of black-claddemonstrators thronged the streets of the Asian financial hub on Sunday, in thelargest anti-government rally since local elections last month and a resoundingshow of continued support for the pro-democracy movement.(Reuters)last_img read more

Humboldt State erupts for 35-point third quarter in 42-37 win over Western Oregon

first_imgFor two weeks Humboldt State head coach Rob Smith has been waiting for his offense to come out of an uncharacteristic midseason slumber.Against their arch-rivals and in front of a nationally-televised audience, the Jacks’ offense got back to resembling their old selves.Humboldt State’s offense, which had scored all of 31 points in the last two weeks, exploded for 35 points in the third quarter on Saturday afternoon, as the Jacks were able to claim a win at McArthur Field for the second …last_img read more

U.S. Twitter Users Spend 2+ Hours per Month on Site

first_imgNew data from stat-tracking firm Experian finds that U.S. Twitter users are now spending two hours and 12 minutes per month on Twitter.com reading and replying to tweets. That’s up from one hour and 51 minutes last year. However, the time spent during any given Twitter session has declined. In November 2010, a typical Twitter session was 13 minutes, 12 seconds, down from last year’s average of 15 minutes, 12 seconds.This suggests that users are “seeking more frequent quick hits,” says Experian, “rather than spending longer periods of time reading through posts.”Average Visits Up, Year-over-YearThe new report also shows that the average number of visits is up year-over-year (data measured from November 2009 to November 2010). The average number of visits rose 37%, says Experian, from 7.3 visits per month in November 2009 to 10 visits per month as of November 2010.However, the raw numbers show a decline. In November 2009, 9.54 million U.S. adults visited Twitter.com during the past 30 days, while in November 2010, only 8.25 million did.This is the chart Experian posted, however. What’s with the dates “2013” and “2014?” That’s probably a mistake. We’re pretty sure they were looking at data from 2009 and 2010. Hey, typos happen. Let’s not go by the chart. In any event, declining visits to Twitter.com isn’t any reason for concern. Although Experian doesn’t make note of this, this is clearly more indicative of the growing number of mobile Twitter users who now primarily access Twitter via their phones (over 40% of tweets are posted from mobiles), as opposed to visiting the website Twitter.com from a computer. It also doesn’t track the numerous Twitter client applications currently in use, including official offerings from Twitter for devices like the iPhone, iPad, or Android and BlackBerry smartphones as well as the new desktop app Twitter for Mac.If anything, this data is only a slice of the overall pie. All it really shows is that Twitter remains popular, that popularity is growing, but accessing the site through a desktop browser is trending down. The Dos and Don’ts of Brand Awareness Videos Related Posts sarah perez A Comprehensive Guide to a Content Audit Guide to Performing Bulk Email Verification Facebook is Becoming Less Personal and More Pro… Tags:#NYT#twitter#web last_img read more

Three-year-old falls from 2nd floor, lands unhurt on moving rickshaw

first_imgA three-year-old boy had a miraculous escape after he fell from the second floor terrace of a building and landed on the seat of a cycle-rickshaw passing by in Pradhanpura area in Tikamgarh, Madhya Pradesh.The boy, Parv Jain, escaped without any injury in the incident that occurred on Saturday night.The video of the incident, which was captured on the CCTV cameras installed in the nearby buildings, has gone viral on social media.It shows a man walking and pulling his cycle-rickshaw with his hand on a narrow lane in a busy market area of Pradhanpura in Tikamgarh, when a child suddenly falls on its seat.‘Lost balance’Ashish Jain, father of the child, said, “The incident occured at around 8.30 pm on Saturday night. My son, Parv, was playing on the second floor terrace, about 30-feet from the ground level. However, he lost balance and fell off the terrace. But luckily, a rickshaw puller Manohar Bhatt was passing on the road with his vehicle.”“Parv landed on the seat of the rickshaw. It was a miracle! Bhatt is an angel for our family. Later, we took Parv to hospital where the doctors examined him. He did not suffer any injury,” Mr. Jain said.Text by PTIVideo: ANIlast_img read more

Armed men on rampage in Blue Hills two new cases under investigation

first_img TCI Premier blasts Opposition side for “slop” information, sets it straight in HOA Nearly 30 Haitians caught following illegal landing in Nassau, says Defence Force Related Items:#MagneticNewsMedia Bahamas Police Commissioner Greenslade gone to UK, appointed as High Commissioner Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, TCI, February 21, 2017 – Police confirm the armed robbery of a woman, just off Millennium Highway in Blue Hills on Saturday night, Sunday morning; the home owner said she opened the door to a knock and four masked, armed men rushed in and demanded money. They took jewelry and cell phones and cash.The four robbed two women in that residence.  Magnetic Media got reports of outrage and grave concern from friends of both the women robbed by armed men.  It is now clarified that there was one armed home invasion, but two women, living at the residence were robbed at gunpoint.Police explain an investigation is launched from the weekend into the shooting around 12:30am on Sunday when a man came outside after hearing screams.  That man came face to face, he said with three masked and armed men, who fired shots and struck him in the ear.The woman who had screamed, told Police that she ran back into her home at the sight of the men, standing in her apartment corridor with guns; she is unhurt.   The male was treated and has since been released from hospital.Police are asking for help in these and all other outstanding investigations; remember if you know anything please contact Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-TIPS.#MagneticMediaNewslast_img read more

San Diego DA clears police in custody death of Earl McNeil

first_img KUSI Newsroom KUSI Newsroom, San Diego DA clears police in custody death of Earl McNeil 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – National City police and sheriff’s deputies will not face criminal charges in connection with the death of a drug-impaired mentally ill man following his combative arrest in the South Bay city last spring, District Attorney Summer Stephan announced Friday.Earl McNeil, 40, was high on methamphetamine and had been fighting with officers when he stopped breathing and suffered heart failure, Stephan told reporters. McNeil died in a hospital 16 days later due to brain damage from lack of oxygen, she said.According to the medical examiner’s office, a high level of methamphetamine in McNeil’s system could have been enough to cause his death. McNeil was agitated for two hours starting when he first came into contact with National City police officers in front of their headquarters, and that could have led to heart and respiratory failure, Stephan said.Stephan played a 55-minute compilation video of the events following McNeil’s arrest, including paramedics trying to revive him as they prepared to take him in for medical and psychological evaluation.Before playing the video for reporters, Stephan informed McNeil’s family that officers and deputies would not be facing criminal charges in connection with his death. She said they were respectful of her decision, calling them “extremely wonderful people.”McNeil’s death prompted a series of protests and arrests at city council meetings in National City in recent months.The events that led to the one-time gang member’s death began shortly before 5:30 a.m. May 26, when McNeil called the National City Police Department’s emergency-communications center from a telephone near the entrance to NCPD headquarters.“During his conversation with the dispatcher, McNeil requested to speak with an officer and made paranoid, threatening and irrational statements,” according to a statement from the agency. “When officers arrived to speak with McNeil, he was very agitated (and) paranoid and said he was in possession of a controlled substance.”In order to “de-escalate the situation,” officers handcuffed McNeil, the memo states. At that point, he allegedly began resisting and spitting at the personnel, prompting them to put him in maximum restraints and take him to San Diego Central Jail.“During the intake process with county jail staff, McNeil exhibited signs of medical distress, and NCPD officers called for paramedics,” according to police. “Paramedics responded and treated McNeil at the jail. McNeil was transported by paramedics to UCSD Medical Center for additional treatment.”McNeil died in the hospital on June 11.Stephan said McNeil was an informant for the District Attorney’s Office in the 2003 murders of two women and the wounding of a 7-year-old boy in the Dr. J’s liquor store shooting. McNeil — who had a substantial criminal record — was a witness in the case and the only benefit he received was relocation money for his family to move out of San Diego due to safety concerns, the county’s top prosecutor said.Warning: The video contains content and strong language that viewers may find disturbing. September 21, 2018center_img Posted: September 21, 2018 Updated: 5:12 PM Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitterlast_img read more