April 4, 2020 Associated Press “The Football Association of Ireland announces that Mick McCarthy is to be succeeded as national team manager by Stephen Kenny with immediate effect,” the FAI said in a statement. “The handover has been agreed with both men in light of the delay to the European Championship playoffs caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.”McCarthy had originally been due to stay in charge until July 31, after the Euro 2020 finals — now put back a year — were originally due to finish. Kenny had been set to take over on Aug. 1 after being in charge of the under-21 national side.Ireland faces Slovakia away in the Euro 2020 qualifying playoffs, with the winner to face either Northern Ireland or Bosnia and Herzegovina. However, the fixture has been postponed for a second time due to the pandemic.___Tajikistan has started a new soccer season, joining a small group of countries around the world where play has continued despite the coronavirus pandemic. ___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 The Latest: Trump speaks to sports commissioners The NCAA basketball tournament was also canceled, as were college spring sports such as baseball and softball, lacrosse and track and field.The White House says the commissioners thanked Trump for his “national leadership and for his interest in the sports industry.” He called on them to continue efforts to support their fellow Americans during the current challenge.A wide range of sports league officials participated in the call, including NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and NBA commissioner Adam Silver.___Stephen Kenny is the new Ireland soccer manager after replacing Mick McCarthy in a planned move brought forward by the coronavirus pandemic. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:The White House says President Donald Trump spoke with commissioners of the country’s sports leagues on Saturday and told them he recognizes “the good work being done by many teams and players” to care for their communities and fans dealing with the new coronavirus.The virus has decimated the sports world with the NBA and NHL suspending their seasons indefinitely and Major League Baseball postponing the start of its season. Istiklol Dushanbe retained the Central Asian nation’s season-opening Super Cup on Saturday with a come-from-behind 2-1 win over Khujand.The game was played without fans and a large banner reading “stop coronavirus” in Tajik and Russian covered part of the stands.Players and staff from both teams mingled freely after the final whistle before officials hung medals around their necks and shook their hands.Professional soccer is only continuing in a few countries around the world, with Belarus, Nicaragua and Burundi among the holdouts, attracting interest from foreign fans and international gambling markets.Tajikistan has not reported any cases of the new coronavirus, according to a tally by Johns Hopkins University.
Tandoh explained that the commission decided to support the organisers because the football dance competition which encourages mass participation is in line with the sports agenda of Governor Akinwunmi Ambode to make Lagos an Africaâ€™s sports hub.Â “The most important thing is the objective of the event. The objective tallies with the vision of the governor in creating a synergy between tourism, hospitality, entertainment and sporting excellence. So for us it is line with what we are mandated to do and that is why we are supporting it. The football dance competition will give a lot of youth opportunity to be discovered and who know we might see good players coming out from the event,” Tandoh said.The initiator of the Football Dance Competition, Alayoteju Onasanya, stated that the project is all about empowering young people and exposing them to better opportunities. She added participants can register online onÂ www.creativedancewithfootball.orgÂ or selected centres across Lagos.Onasanya said: “What is in it is using me as an entertainer to invite those that will profit the lives of the children. They have the skills, they have the talents but they don’t have opportunity. So those who are likely to give the opportunity and platform will be invited to the event.”The event which has competitions for individual and group categories, is opened to participants from ages five to 22 years. The competition is not open to professional footballers and dancers. Over 1,000 participants are expected to compete for honours in the competition starting onÂ August 29, with the grand finale billed forÂ September 1Â inside the indoor hall of the Teslim Balogun Stadium.Winners will get cash prizes, valuable gifts and more importantly, life changing opportunities.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram The Lagos State Government through the Lagos State Sports Commission has endorsed the maiden Football Dance Competition scheduled to hold at the Teslim Balogun Stadium fromÂ August 29.The event, which was supported by the Lagos State Football Association, is designed for talented amateur footballers to showcase their creativity with dance and get rewards.Speaking at a media briefing to herald the competition, Executive Chairman of the Lagos State Sports Commission, Dr. Kweku Tandoh said the football dance event would enhance sporting activities from the grassroots and showcase teeming youth who are gifted in the round leather game.