For two weeks Humboldt State head coach Rob Smith has been waiting for his offense to come out of an uncharacteristic midseason slumber.Against their arch-rivals and in front of a nationally-televised audience, the Jacks’ offense got back to resembling their old selves.Humboldt State’s offense, which had scored all of 31 points in the last two weeks, exploded for 35 points in the third quarter on Saturday afternoon, as the Jacks were able to claim a win at McArthur Field for the second …
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest The Ohio Corn & Wheat Growers Association (OCWGA) and the Ohio Soybean Association (OSA) denounced the elimination of the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative, as proposed by the 2018 budget released by the Trump Administration.Ohio’s corn, soy and wheat farmers have been strong supporters of the initiative. Since 2009 it has provided approximately $300 million annually in water quality improvement efforts and generated more than $2 billion for previously unfunded restoration work over the past eight years. These investments help not only agriculture, but other stakeholders that need support to improve water quality.“The Great Lakes are the source of nourishment, fishing and recreation for millions of Americans,” said Jed Bower, OCWGA President. “If Congress enacts the administration’s budget as proposed, Western Lake Erie would be harmed by the elimination of the initiative.”The Trump Administration proposed severe cuts to Great Lakes funding for the remainder of the 2017 fiscal year budget. However, led by Sens. Portman and Brown, Congress voted to keep programs at their current funding level of $300 million.“Failing to fund the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative would come at a high cost to Ohioans,” said Todd Hesterman, OSA President. “We stand with Sens. Rob Portman and Sherrod Brown, Rep. Dave Joyce, and all members of Ohio’s congressional delegation who have led the charge to fully fund the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative.”
Tags:#Apple#Google#Java#lawsuits#litigation#mobile#Oracle#Patents#Samsung#SCO Group Matt Asay IT + Project Management: A Love Affair If ever we needed confirmation that markets, not courtrooms, should decide the technologies we use, witness SCO Group’s reborn dream to sue all of UNIX-dom into its wallet. It was a specious lawsuit in 2003 when SCO Group (now Xinuos) first launched its $1 billion broadside against IBM. It’s even more farcical today. Sadly, it’s not clear that the legal fights between Apple and Samsung, or Oracle and Google, are much better.First, to SCO Group.SCO Is Like A CockroachYou can be forgiven for thinking bankruptcy, unsympathetic judges and the truth would have killed SCO’s chances of getting its $1 billion IBM payday. That is, you can be forgiven for thinking that occasionally common sense prevails in the courtroom. But as Groklaw notes, a judge has just granted SCO Group (Xinuos) a new lease on its litigious life. Basically, Xinuos wants a “redo,” suggesting that its bankruptcy proceedings unfairly foreclosed its ability to troll.And let’s be clear: this is all about trolling.It’s perhaps fitting that the company that acquired SCO Group’s assets, Xinuos, lists four members of management, three of whom are operations and sales-focused (read: keeping costs down while they swing for the litigation fences), and only one is an engineer. That engineer is too embarrassed to show his face: Related Posts 3 Areas of Your Business that Need Tech Now Massive Non-Desk Workforce is an Opportunity fo… This is a company set up to sue. In common parlance, it is a troll. Fittingly, it’s headquartered in Las Vegas, where the culture of rolling the dice on speculative “investments” pervades.SCO Group reborn as UnXis renamed to Xinuos should be dead. The lawsuit that tormented the industry for years should have been declared stillborn when first launched. And yet we continue to live with this silly charade.More Respectable LawsuitsNot that industry litigation between respectable companies fares much better. Samsung just got a ban on Apple’s importation of old iPhones. Previous to this, Apple won $1 billion from Samsung plus an injunction against Samsung shipping certain phones. The injunction was subsequently wiped out and the damages were trimmed 43%.It’s a tit-for-tat with no end (or victor) in sight.The same holds true for Oracle’s lawsuit against Google over the use of Java in Android. The two parties trade victories and defeats, then appeal, and cross-appeal ad nauseum. The only winners in this and other lawsuits are the attorneys collecting fees.The Market Rolls OnDespite all of this nonsense, consumers and businesses continue to make purchasing decisions based on quality and value, not lawsuits. Linux has eclipsed UNIX and threatens Windows. Android dominates the mobile landscape. Not one of these inane lawsuits has changed these facts.So why do credible firms like Apple and Oracle follow the lead of trolls like SCO Group?Perhaps they hope to delay the inevitable. If Apple can slow Samsung’s market share gains, it stands to make even more profits. Or perhaps they hope to get paid for others’ successes. Microsoft makes serious money on Android, despite not contributing anything of value to its development. Oracle may hope to achieve the same in its lawsuit with Google, but part of its strategy may simply be to ensure that others continue to license Java, even if Google refuses, as I’ve written before.In some cases, technology firms sue in order to discover competitors’ trade secrets in the course of the litigation.Or maybe, just maybe, they’re all suing, as Gizmodo opines, because the patent system is irretrievably broken and so much money is at stake in these emerging markets like mobile. In the case of Xinuos, however, there’s just one reason for its cockroach-like existence: to roll the dice one more time in the hope of getting something for nothing. Let’s hope it fails in a way that it finally, truly dies.Image courtesy of Shutterstock. Cognitive Automation is the Immediate Future of…
A three-year-old boy had a miraculous escape after he fell from the second floor terrace of a building and landed on the seat of a cycle-rickshaw passing by in Pradhanpura area in Tikamgarh, Madhya Pradesh.The boy, Parv Jain, escaped without any injury in the incident that occurred on Saturday night.The video of the incident, which was captured on the CCTV cameras installed in the nearby buildings, has gone viral on social media.It shows a man walking and pulling his cycle-rickshaw with his hand on a narrow lane in a busy market area of Pradhanpura in Tikamgarh, when a child suddenly falls on its seat.‘Lost balance’Ashish Jain, father of the child, said, “The incident occured at around 8.30 pm on Saturday night. My son, Parv, was playing on the second floor terrace, about 30-feet from the ground level. However, he lost balance and fell off the terrace. But luckily, a rickshaw puller Manohar Bhatt was passing on the road with his vehicle.”“Parv landed on the seat of the rickshaw. It was a miracle! Bhatt is an angel for our family. Later, we took Parv to hospital where the doctors examined him. He did not suffer any injury,” Mr. Jain said.Text by PTIVideo: ANI
South Africa have rested Jacques Kallis for the one-day international series against England.The 36-year-old Kallis, who scored an unbeaten 182 to help South Africa win the first Test against England by an innings and 12 runs at the Oval on Monday, has been replaced by the uncapped Dean Elgar.In naming their 15-man squad, Cricket South Africa(CSA) announced that Kallis is “being rested ahead of the ICC World Twenty20 in September.”The other changes to the squad that claimed a 3-0 ODI series win in New Zealand earlier this year sees spinner Imran Tahir and all-rounder Ryan McLaren recalled.
For all the results and tables for all divisons go to the TFA SPORTINGPULSE WEBSITEDay two of the 2007 National Touch League saw many teams produce some exciting and skilful touch. In the Mens Open the Sydney Mets and Sydney Scorpions sit equally on top after a thrilling 7-all draw. The Mets started strongly, with the speed of both the players and ball beating the Scorpions. A quality dummy saw Scott Buckley open the scoring for the Mets, and they shot out to a 2-0 lead within minutes. Scorpions hit back through the fancy footwork and ball skills from brothers John and Maurice Kennedy to send Heath Cooper over the line. The skills from both sides continued as they traded touchdowns the Scorpions went to the break ahead 4-3. Buckley opened the second half much like the first, scoring on the first set. As the speed increased on the field, the intensity rose on the sidelines also, with a number of spectators gathering to watch the game. An injury to Mets’ Anthony Ziade midway through the half stopped play for several minutes, and on return the Mets hit the front when a Gary Sonda cut-out ball found Cameron Nicholls. Sonda pumped his fist with the result looking sealed at 7-6, but a penalty on the siren and an entertaining finish in the corner from Maurice Kennedy leveled the match at 7-all.The Barbarians have showed they are one of the lead contenders for the Womens Open title, after a dominant display in the second half over last years champions the Sharks. The match was locked at nil-all at the break, and the barbs came out firing, led by Australian World Cup Womens player Bo De La Cruz, who was on the receiving end of a Charli Simpkins ball to score and give Barbarians the lead. The Barbarians continued to play skillful and entertaining touch, much to the delight of the crowd, to extend to a 4-0 lead. The Sharks responded, but never looked like catching the Barbarians, who took the match 6-2.9amMens Open: Scorpions (10) def Eagles (6)Mens Open: Rustlers (7) def Barbarians (6)Mens Open: Rebels (9) def ACT (0)Mixed Open: Mets (11) def Rustlers (1)Mixed Open: Rebels (10) def Suns (3)Mens 20s: Mets (13) def Cyclones (7)9.50amMixed Open: Sharks (10) def Barbarians (3) Mixed Open: Cobras (10) def Cyclones (5)Mens 20s: ACT (4) def Sharks (1)Mens Open: Sharks (10) def Crusaders (1) Mens Open: Suns (14) def Hornets (2)Mens Open: Cobras (11) v Cyclones (4)Mixed Open: Hornets (5) v Scorpions (4)10.40amMens 20s: Cobras (10) def Crusaders (3)Mens 20s: Suns (7) def Hornets (4)Womens 20s: Cobras (17) def Crusaders (1)Womens Open: Suns (14) def Eagles (1)Womens Open: Rustlers (4) drew Cyclones (4)Womens Open: Crusaders (12) def Scorpions (3)11.30amWomens 20s: Rebels (4) def ACT (2)Womens 20s: Sharks (3) def Eagles (2)Womens 20s: Hornets (7) def Cyclones (1)Womens Open: Sharks (8) def Rebels (0)Womens Open: Barbarians (9) def Hornets (0)Womens Open: Cobras (9) def ACT (1)12.20pmMens Open: Mets (7) drew Scorpions (7)Mens Open: Eagles (6) def ACT (1)Mens Open: Barbarians (6) def Rebels (4)Womens 20s: Rustlers (6) def Mets (3)Mixed Open: Hornets (6) def Cobras (3)Mixed Open: Barbarians (8) def Suns (5)Mixed Open: Rebels (10) def Rustlers (8)1.10pmMens Open: Sharks (11)def Suns (7)Mens Open: Cobras (12) def Crusaders (3)Mens Open: Cyclones (6) def Hornets (4)Mixed Open: Mets (10) def Scorpions (5)Mixed Open: Sharks (10) def Cyclones (3)2.00pmWomens Open: Mets (5) def Suns (0)Womens Open: Crusaders (10) def Eagles (1)Womens Open: Cyclones (14) def Scorpions (0)Mens 20s: Cobras (8) def ACT (2)Mens 20s: Suns (15) def Crusaders (0)Mens 20s: Mets (9) def Hornets (2)2.50pmWomens Open: Barbarians (6) def Sharks (2)Womens Open: Cobras (9) def Rebels (0)Womens Open: ACT (8) def Hornets (1)Womens 20s: Cobras (8) def Suns (4) Womens 20s: Sharks (10) def Crusaders (0)Mens 20s: Rustlers (7) def Cyclones (4)3.40pmMixed Open: Mets (12) def Suns (6)Mixed Open: Sharks (11) def Rustlers (2)Mixed Open: Rebels (7) def Cobras (5)Womens 20s: Hornets (4) def Rebels (0)Womens 20s: Eagles (9) def Mets (2)Womens 20s: Rustlers (8) def Cyclones (4)4.30pmMens 20s: ACT (7) def Crusaders (2)Mens Open: Mets (15) def ACT (0)Mens Open: Rustlers (15) def Rebels (5)Mixed Open: Scorpions (13) def Barbarians (4)Mixed Open: Hornets (14) def Cyclones (2)5.20pmWomens Open: Rustlers (12) def Scorpions (0)Womens Open: Mets (8) def Crusaders (1)Womens Open: Cyclones (5) drew Suns (5)Mens 20s: Suns (6) def Rustlers (4)Mens 20s: Sharks (6) def Hornets (3)Mens Open: Scorpions (9) Barbarians (8)6.10pmWomens 20s: Cyclones (2) drew Mets (2)Womens 20s: Suns (11) def Rustlers (2)Womens 20s: Eagles (6) drew Hornets (6)Womens 20s: Sharks (10) def Rebels (4)Womens 20s: Crusaders (4) def ACT (3)Mens 20s: Cobras (7) def Cyclones (3)
Agent: Many teams would like Chelsea fullback Emersonby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveThe agent of Chelsea fullback Emerson Palmieri has opened the door to a move to Inter Milan.Emerson moved from Roma to Stamford Bridge for €20m a year ago, but has struggled for playing time.His agent Fernando Garcia was asked about a move to Inter.He told FCInterNews: “I think all the top European clubs would like to have a player like Emerson Palmieri in their squad. There has been some interest, although nothing formal, so there is nothing to report now.“I cannot talk about the clubs who approached us. I don’t think he’ll leave Chelsea now.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
Wolves legend Bull hails Traore for victory at Man Cityby Paul Vegas12 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveWolves legend Steve Bull has hailed the impact of two-goal Adama Traore for victory at Manchester City last week.He wrote for the Express & Star: “Adama Traore’s finishing was top-class as well.”He has had a lot of criticism during his time at the club, with people saying it’s all 100mph with him – too fast.”He took his goals absolutely brilliantly, though. He slotted them away like a true goalscorer. Some might think they were easy finishes. Trust me, they weren’t.”Traore could have fluffed his lines and smacked the ball into the row Z, but he knew where he wanted to put the ball and placed it past the keeper with confidence both times.”Raul Jimenez set each of them up, of course, and I thought he was excellent as well, constantly making himself available.”It was a delight to see him run at the City backline and take on Nicolas Otamendi in the build-up to Traore’s first. It’s something we expect to see from Diogo Jota, not Jimenez.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Auburn Basketball ClassAs of roughly 12 p.m. E.T. Sunday, Auburn’s men’s basketball program has the best recruiting class in the SEC for 2016. Yes, you read that correctly. The Tigers, after receiving the commitment of five-star small forward Mustapha Heron, have rose in 247 Sports’ Team Rankings to the top of the SEC and No. 7 in the country. Auburn has three commitments in the class: Heron, three-star point guard Jared Harper and three-star Anfernee McLemore. Now, there is a long way to go before teams are done recruiting for 2016. Kentucky will surely add multiple elite recruits to its class and probably end up with the top class in the conference. But, for a little while, Bruce Pearl’s program can claim to be at the top of the SEC recruiting mountain, and that’s pretty cool.
OTTAWA – Federal Finance Minister Bill Morneau suggests he has no plans to provide a timetable for returning Ottawa’s books to balance — even with a scorching economy.Morneau credited the strong economic performance to the Trudeau government’s strategy to run deficits, which helped it finance measures such as lower income-tax rates for middle earners and enhanced child benefits.Moving forward, he said Tuesday that Ottawa intended to pursue its plan to invest more than $180 billion into infrastructure over the next 11 years. That spending is projected to contribute to annual, multibillion-dollar shortfalls across Ottawa’s five-year budgetary outlook — and perhaps beyond.Morneau’s remarks outside a cabinet retreat in St. John’s came after months of impressive economic data, including a recent report showing growth expanded at an annualized rate of 4.5 per cent in the second quarter.“We find ourselves in this positive position because of the economic approach we’ve taken,” he told reporters after being asked if the improved fiscal outlook meant he’d produce a timeline to eliminate the deficit in his fall economic update.“We’re going to continue down that path and we’re going to do it in a fiscally responsible way.”The Liberals’ deficit track has faced criticism.Conservative opponents have long been critical about the government’s plan to add to the federal debt to fund new measures, while some economists have urged Ottawa to limit fiscal uncertainty by mapping out a plan to return to balance.More recently, experts have also warned that Ottawa should consider delaying its nearer-term infrastructure investments to avoid the risk of overheating the already-sizzling economy.The economy’s surprisingly powerful start to the year is expected to improve the federal bottom line outlined in the government’s March budget.At the time, Morneau forecasted a $28.5-billion deficit for 2017-18, including a $3-billion accounting adjustment for risk.A new analysis released this week by a University of Ottawa think tank predicts the deficit is on track to be about $6.5 billion smaller this year. The shortfall is set to shrink thanks to an economic expansion that easily topped federal projections, said the Institute of Fiscal Studies and Democracy.The think tank, led by former parliamentary budget officer Kevin Page, also said there’s “little doubt” the federal measures, such as increased child benefits and early infrastructure spending, have contributed to Canada’s improved economic performance.Conservative MP Pierre Poilievre said the Liberals were fortunate to have inherited a solid financial situation from the Harper government and to enjoy the benefits of a strengthening U.S. economy.Poilievre said the government should balance the books now while the “going’s good.”If not, he warned that rising interest rates will leave households and the government increasingly indebted. Over time, the higher rates will also gradually boost Ottawa’s debt-servicing costs, he added.“Now is the time to balance the budget and strengthen our finances, rather than continuing to pile on new debt,” Poilievre said Tuesday in an interview.Morneau insisted Tuesday that, since taking office, the government’s approach has put more disposable income in consumers’ pockets, which they’ve put back into the economy.On infrastructure, Morneau said Ottawa would stick with the spending strategy because it’s designed to lift the economy over the long term.To guide the government’s deficit decisions, he added it would keep its focus on the country’s debt-to-GDP ratio — a measure of the public debt burden.The government has promised to lower the ratio over the Liberal mandate and views it as a so-called fiscal anchor, rather than eliminating the deficit.“We expect that we’ll be able to do even better than we might have thought in the past, in terms of our ability to manage that,” Morneau said of the ratio.“That will be our continuing measurement tool.”The Liberals won the 2015 election on a platform that pledged to invest billions in infrastructure and child benefits as a way to re-energize the economy. They had promised annual shortfalls would not surpass $10 billion during the first couple years of their mandate and to return to balance by 2019-20.However, a few months after taking office the government abandoned those vows, citing a weaker-than-expected economy.Follow @AndyBlatchford on Twitter