Mon Repos Market closed for “cleaning only” not repairs – Communities Ministry

first_imgmon Repos Market vendors are complaining that one week after the facility was shut down to facilitate repairs, there were no visible signs of any restoration done.However, Guyana Times was informed by the Communities Ministry that the Market was closed only to facilitate cleaning and sanitation of the premises and not repairs.It was reported that the Mon Repos Market was shut down for one week to allow repairs to be done and merchants were asked to remove themselves from the retail section. While some persons relocated across the Market, independently, to continue their vending, others waited for the restoration to be completed.However, when this publication visited the Mon Repos Market on Wednesday last, to view the repairs done, there was no discernible improvement. According to vendors, upon resuming their vending on Saturday, the employees of the Market Office were unable to answer questions that were posed to them as to why there was no significant change within the Market after so many days.Numerous vendors voiced that losses were incurred during the one week that they were not allowed to vend in their normal area. They highlighted that they were awaiting a response about the Market being shut down for ‘’insignificant reasons.’’‘’Look, you see anything in this market change? Is the same shabby conditions. Why they shut down the market last week? I suffer a huge loss last week ,man. Over the road barely gat space for couple people so the rest ah we had to sit and wait. You know how much customers I lose already because of this? Them locking down the market for some real stupid, stupid and insignificant reasons,’’ one angry merchant said.Another vendor said that after persons began questioning the actual reason for the Market being inactive for a week, the supervisor of the Market Office highlighted to them that they were given that time to sanitise and mend within their stalls. The merchant indicated that this was ‘’news’’ to them, since no one had so informedThe Mon Repos Market fencethem.‘’So after we start asking the supervisor why the Market shut down if they didn’t intend to do anything to it, she turn and said that the Market was shut down, so we could go in and clean and repair we stalls. This was news to all ah we ‘cause they never told us that. They said that we got to remove from the Market for a week cause they got to do repairs. And is not me alone hear that, is majority ah the Market.’’Meanwhile, when this publication met with an employee of the Mon Repos Market Office, she indicated that she was not allowed to speak to the media and refused to give any comment on the matter. The supervisor of this office is said to be on ‘’medical’’ leave.On Monday, it was highlighted by the Assistant of Minister of Communities, Raphael Hazel who spoke on behalf of the Minister, Ronald Bulkan, that according to the Works Committee Chairman of the Mon Repos Neighbourhood Democratic Council, Raghoo, the market was shut down to only facilitate cleaning.Hazel said that Raghoo relayed that no repairs were intended to be done at the Market during that time. He added that complaints were made by Raghoo that some vendors who had relocated across the road, refused to comply; hence, parts of the drains were not cleaned.“I spoke to the Works Committee Chairman of the NDC, Raghoo, and he said that it was a project undertaken by them from the 8th May to the 13th and it was just to clean the market. His exact words were “it was stink”. So they basically asked the vendors to be away from that Sunday to Friday just to clean it, wash it out and so,” the Business Minister’s Assistant said.last_img read more

City comes of age this week

first_img The city originally sought to encompass 150 square miles, but the agency that oversees municipal boundary changes in Los Angeles County nixed the plan, granting it a little more than 39 square miles and leaving out Castaic, Val Verde and what is now Stevenson Ranch. Over the years, the city has completed 25 annexations, increasing its area to about 53 square miles. Some of the issues still being tackled are 18 years old, or even older. The city could be nearing the end of a 20-year fight to keep Elsmere Canyon, just outside Santa Clarita in county territory, from being turned into what its opponents say would be the world’s largest garbage dump. The canyon was omitted from the city plan in 1987 because of the landfill proposal. “The culmination of that fight will be when the state waste management board certifies the document that removes Elsmere Canyon as the county’s No. 1 location for siting of a new landfill,” said Councilwoman Marsha McLean. “The county has realized siting a new landfill in an urban area is next to impossible.” McLean is hopeful the California Integrated Waste Management Board will certify the document by spring. For years, the city has sought to improve the deteriorating Newhall business district. Last month, the City Council approved the Downtown Newhall Specific Plan, which will provide a template for long-term rejuvenation of a 50-block area. In 2006, a Newhall North Specific Plan could emerge. Its domain could include an area north of the Community Center, south of the Circle J Ranch development and east of San Fernando Road. It could include frontage properties on the west side of San Fernando Road. Casden Properties LLC would be the dominant landowner in the area. The developer plans some 1,000 homes at the mouth of Placerita Canyon. Looking ahead, Garasi says he sees the city becoming more politicized as it ages, which is not necessarily a bad thing. “I think people are interested in getting involved with the city. They not only want to serve the city and the residents, but they may have some future political goals,” he said. “I think it is beneficial; as people get involved with politics at a higher level, they can benefit the city.” He noted how the city’s first mayor, now U.S. Rep. Howard “Buck” McKeon, has done well by his first constituents. And current Mayor Cameron Smyth announced in September he will run for the state Assembly seat being vacated by Keith Richman, R-Granada Hills. Smyth will seek his party’s endorsement in the June primary, with the general election set for next November. On Tuesday, Smyth is due to pass the mayoral baton to Mayor Pro Tem Laurene Weste. !dtpo st!Judy O’Rourke, (661) 257-5255 judy.orourke@dailynews.com w=18.5IF YOU GO The city will throw a birthday tea and scrapbooking party from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday at Remember When … Scrapbooking, 23407 Lyons Ave., Newhall. Guests can help assemble the pages, and are invited to bring photos for the project. For information, call (661) 255-4939. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBlues bury Kings early with four first-period goals Santa Clarita has expanded through annexations, births and general growth, swelling from a population of about 110,000 when it incorporated Dec. 15, 1987, to nearly 170,000 today. Businessman Lou Garasi served as chairman of the city feasibility committee. In 1986, naysayers said the city did not have enough of a tax-revenue base to support itself. “We had had almost 40 years of neglect we had to overcome, with parks, roads, infrastructure,” he said. “I’m very pleased in the last 18 years we made a strong beginning. I believe the city will eventually be able to catch up with itself.” Carl Boyer, who was mayor twice, in 1990 and 1996, was elected to the first council, then re-elected once. He said Santa Clarita’s founders had no idea they were forming “the largest city ever.” “We had no idea what we were doing,” he said. “If we had any idea how big a venture it was, probably we would have tried to go for something much smaller in area and population.” SANTA CLARITA – The city turns 18 years old this week, a coming of age that draws the line between immaturity and glancing at the future. In recent interviews, some of Santa Clarita’s founders said they’re proud of the city they helped create, but want more. They want what they originally sought, the entire Santa Clarita Valley – particularly the land west of Interstate 5 – unified under one local government. “I don’t think 18 is an adult,” said Jan Heidt, the mayor pro tem, on Santa Clarita’s first City Council. “I think the city is really in their teenage years. I don’t think they’ll come of age until the county lets them annex west of the freeway.” Heidt served as mayor two times, in 1993 and 1998, and served as a councilwoman through the City Council’s sixth term. last_img read more