Mon Repos Market closed for “cleaning only” not repairs – Communities Ministry

first_imgmon Repos Market vendors are complaining that one week after the facility was shut down to facilitate repairs, there were no visible signs of any restoration done.However, Guyana Times was informed by the Communities Ministry that the Market was closed only to facilitate cleaning and sanitation of the premises and not repairs.It was reported that the Mon Repos Market was shut down for one week to allow repairs to be done and merchants were asked to remove themselves from the retail section. While some persons relocated across the Market, independently, to continue their vending, others waited for the restoration to be completed.However, when this publication visited the Mon Repos Market on Wednesday last, to view the repairs done, there was no discernible improvement. According to vendors, upon resuming their vending on Saturday, the employees of the Market Office were unable to answer questions that were posed to them as to why there was no significant change within the Market after so many days.Numerous vendors voiced that losses were incurred during the one week that they were not allowed to vend in their normal area. They highlighted that they were awaiting a response about the Market being shut down for ‘’insignificant reasons.’’‘’Look, you see anything in this market change? Is the same shabby conditions. Why they shut down the market last week? I suffer a huge loss last week ,man. Over the road barely gat space for couple people so the rest ah we had to sit and wait. You know how much customers I lose already because of this? Them locking down the market for some real stupid, stupid and insignificant reasons,’’ one angry merchant said.Another vendor said that after persons began questioning the actual reason for the Market being inactive for a week, the supervisor of the Market Office highlighted to them that they were given that time to sanitise and mend within their stalls. The merchant indicated that this was ‘’news’’ to them, since no one had so informedThe Mon Repos Market fencethem.‘’So after we start asking the supervisor why the Market shut down if they didn’t intend to do anything to it, she turn and said that the Market was shut down, so we could go in and clean and repair we stalls. This was news to all ah we ‘cause they never told us that. They said that we got to remove from the Market for a week cause they got to do repairs. And is not me alone hear that, is majority ah the Market.’’Meanwhile, when this publication met with an employee of the Mon Repos Market Office, she indicated that she was not allowed to speak to the media and refused to give any comment on the matter. The supervisor of this office is said to be on ‘’medical’’ leave.On Monday, it was highlighted by the Assistant of Minister of Communities, Raphael Hazel who spoke on behalf of the Minister, Ronald Bulkan, that according to the Works Committee Chairman of the Mon Repos Neighbourhood Democratic Council, Raghoo, the market was shut down to only facilitate cleaning.Hazel said that Raghoo relayed that no repairs were intended to be done at the Market during that time. He added that complaints were made by Raghoo that some vendors who had relocated across the road, refused to comply; hence, parts of the drains were not cleaned.“I spoke to the Works Committee Chairman of the NDC, Raghoo, and he said that it was a project undertaken by them from the 8th May to the 13th and it was just to clean the market. His exact words were “it was stink”. So they basically asked the vendors to be away from that Sunday to Friday just to clean it, wash it out and so,” the Business Minister’s Assistant said.last_img read more

Microsoft will stay under observation

first_imgThe literary reference was no accident. The judge, Kollar-Kotelly, also had quoted Machiavelli when she approved the antitrust settlement in November 2002. In a passage warning Microsoft to abide by the agreement, she wrote: “Let it not be said of Microsoft that `a prince never lacks legitimate reasons to break his promise.”‘ The top Justice Department lawyer on the case promised that the government will vigorously enforce the antitrust settlement. “This extension will ensure that companies interested in licensing the communications protocols receive the benefit of complete and accurate documentation for the full period of time provided by the court’s final judgment,” said J. Bruce McDonald, the department’s No. 2 antitrust official. The 2002 antitrust settlement required Microsoft to offer its technology to competitors to build products that seamlessly communicate with computers running Windows software. When the settlement was negotiated, the judge and government lawyers described that requirement as among its most significant provisions toward restoring competition in the technology industry. The extended scrutiny comes as Microsoft faces intense competition from Google and Yahoo Inc. Microsoft is concerned that those companies’ Web-based offerings, including e-mail and instant messaging, could threaten its Windows software. Google also is making inroads on the desktop itself, with offerings that include searching electronic documents. Google had informally complained to U.S. and European regulators about the new version of Microsoft’s Web browser, which will ship with its upcoming Windows software known as Vista. Google said the browser improperly steers people to Microsoft’s search engine instead of Google’s more popular technology, but the Justice Department disclosed in its legal papers that it will take no action. The government said Microsoft’s new Web browser respects the choices of consumers and computer makers, and its settings can be easily changed.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! WASHINGTON – Citing Microsoft Corp.’s lapses under part of a landmark antitrust settlement, the Justice Department said Friday that it wants to extend by two years its oversight of some of the company’s business practices until at least November 2009. Microsoft has already agreed to the lengthier scrutiny by the department and 17 states under a proposal that still must be approved by a U.S. judge. The company has struggled with a key provision in the 2002 antitrust settlement requiring it to disclose to its competitors sensitive details about some of its software. Government lawyers said they were prepared to extend oversight of Microsoft’s business activities through 2012 if they deem it necessary. In court papers filed Friday, they described Microsoft’s efforts under parts of the settlement as “disappointing” and “not very encouraging,” but they also said Microsoft’s failures were neither willful nor systematic. If the longer term is eventually approved by the judge, the U.S. court battle against Microsoft would stretch to at least 11 years – the age of a middle-schooler – before it concludes. During that period, Microsoft will have sold at least five generations of its flagship Windows software. At the same time, Google Inc. has emerged as one of Microsoft’s biggest rivals, iPods and BlackBerrys have revolutionized portable gadgets and technology executives have made and lost billions. Lawyers said there was little chance U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly would reject the proposed extension because she has expressed concerns in recent years about Microsoft complying with that part of the settlement, which she has described as among its most important requirements. Microsoft’s top lawyer, Brad Smith, said the extension was “an important step” and gives the company time to finish technical documents that describe the inner workings of its software. Government lawyers said Microsoft’s earlier efforts were so dismal even the company agreed it needed to “reset” the program. The Justice Department quoted Renaissance philosopher Niccol Machiavelli to describe Microsoft’s lapses: “He who has not first laid his foundations may be able with great ability to lay them afterwards, but they will be laid with trouble to the architect and danger to the building.” last_img

PICTURE SPECIAL: CELEBRATING DONEGAL’S WIN OVER DOWN – IN THE AMERICAN SNOW!

first_imgKevin Friel from Fanad displays his Donegal colours in the snows of Beverly, BostonWE’RE a hardy lot.And ex-pats in the North-East United States have had to put up with a massive snowfall this weekend, so much snow they even gave it a name – the Nemo Blizzard.But it didn’t stop this lot enjoying the snow….and Donegal’s victory over Down in the Allianz National League match. Kevin Friel from Fanad took a break from watching the game in Beverly, Boston to step outside for this pic (top).Kevin says his town has been hit with 34 inches of snow and was watching the game with his sisters Nuala wright and Martina Hegarty.This is the main street outside his home below. Meanwhile in Glouchester,Massachusetts, Glenn Gallagher’s home literally has snow right up to the roof of his home.But it didn’t stop the Killybegs man going outside to wave the Donegal flag below!Glenn Gallagher in Gloucester, MAGlenn flies the Donegal flag before getting back to clearing the snowYou can just make out Glenn’s pet pooch through the snowDaniel Smith from Keadue is pictured below in Sunnyside, Queens, New York. He has been living in the States for three years now – the last two in New York, after spending a year in Texas.  You can just see the Empire State Building in Manhattan in the background.“I had just gotten off the phone with my brother, Matthew, who was in MacCumhail Park just before throw in when I took the photo.  The last Donegal match I was at was the Down match in the Ulster Final when I was at home on holiday last summer,” said Daniel.Daniel Smith from KeadueMeanwhile Eunan and Jonathan Kirby – with their roots in Carrigart – are enjoying the snow in Boston below.The Kirbys in BostonIn New Plains, New Jersey, John and Anne Gallagher made sure the children enjoyed the snow in their Donegal colours – and Sam! The Gallaghers in New JerseyHow did Sam get all the way to NJ?* You can send your pix to info@donegaldaily.comPICTURE SPECIAL: CELEBRATING DONEGAL’S WIN OVER DOWN – IN THE AMERICAN SNOW! was last modified: February 10th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:PICTURE SPECIAL: CELEBRATING DONEGAL’S WIN OVER DOWN – IN THE AMERICAN SNOW!last_img read more