The first time through a real buying process, a lot of big businesses choose other large companies as their partners. Here’s how to win them over in the long run.
Eight Army personnel and two civilians were injured when militants triggered an improvised explosive device (IED) fitted in a vehicle near an Army patrol in the militancy-hit Pulwama district of south Kashmir on Monday, officials said.They said the multi-vehicle patrol of the 44 Rashtriya Rifles was moving on the Arihal-Pulwama road when the IED was detonated, injuring the personnel travelling in a bullet-and-mine-proof Casper vehicle.The site of the IED blast is 27 km from the area where a convoy of vehicles carrying security personnel on the Jammu-Srinagar National Highway was attacked by a suicide bomber on February 14 in which 40 CRPF personnel were killed.Major killedIn another incident, an Army officer and a militant were killed during an encounter in Anantnag.A Srinagar-based police spokesman said Major Ketan Sharma, 32, from Meerut, Uttar Pradesh, was injured when a search party of the security forces encircled hiding militants and came under “heavy fire” at Badoora village in Anantnag’s Achabal area in the morning.“Sharma was evacuated to a hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries,” said the police.Two other Army officials, including Major Rahul Verma, suffered injuries in the day-long exchange of fire between the militants and the security forces in Anantnag. “One militant was killed in the ongoing operation. His body was retrieved and his identity and affiliation are being ascertained,” said the police.Referring to the IED blast, Army spokesman Colonel Rajesh Kalia said it was “a failed attempt” to attack the mobile vehicle patrol of the 44 Rashtriya Rifles. “Alertness of the patrol party helped to minimise the damage,” said the spokesman.The police spokesman confirmed that six soldiers were injured in the IED blast, which inflicted severe damage on the Army vehicle.The attack on the Army vehicle comes days after Pakistan intelligence agencies reportedly shared information on the Ansar Ghazwat-ul-Hind’s plans to carry out a major attack using a vehicle to “avenge” its chief Zakir Musa in Pulwama on May 24.(With inputs from PTI)
Prime Minister, the Most Hon. Andrew Holness, says all Jamaicans who requested evacuation assistance from hurricane-ravaged Eastern Caribbean islands have returned home.He told the House of Representatives on September 26 that 200 Jamaicans were airlifted home from the affected territories where they were based, including the Turks and Caicos, and the British Virgin Islands, at a cost of $50 million.Mr. Holness said several persons opted to remain in those countries to assist with recovery and rebuilding efforts, citing the gesture as “commendable” and reflective of the “Jamaican spirit”.He informed that they have, however, sent their children back to Jamaica to continue their education, consequent on the resulting disruption in the education system.Meanwhile, Mr. Holness said the Government is exploring what additional assistance can be extended to affected Eastern Caribbean islands, particularly Antigua and Barbuda, and Dominica, for which Jamaica has already committed financial resources and personnel to assist with recovery and rebuilding efforts.The Prime Minister, who was responding to a query from Central St. Mary Member of Parliament, Dr. Morais Guy, cited the provision of accommodation and educational support services for students whose schools have a similar curriculum to Jamaica’s, particularly those preparing for the 2017/18 Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) and Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examination (CAPE).Additionally, he said consequent on discussions with Dominica’s Prime Minister, Roosevelt Skerrit, the Government will explore the possibility of completing a bridge, construction of which the Jamaica Defence Force (JDF) commenced following extensive flood rains previously impacting that island.“My understanding is that we went, did some assessments and started (work), but did not complete it,” he indicated.Mr. Holness said the Government will determine whether the JDF’s 120-man Disaster Assistance Response Team (DART), being deployed to Dominica in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria following Prime Minister Skerrit’s request for support, can assist with that and other infrastructure repairs after assessments of damage and dislocation sustained are completed.The DART’s deployment is among the assistance which Mr. Holness advised the House that the Government has committed to Dominica’s recovery efforts.He indicated that the deployment is being done in three phases, with the first team having been dispatched on September 26. The remaining two teams are scheduled to land in Dominica on September 27.The team will be assisting with security and distribution of relief supplies; the provision of limited medical care; conducting damage assessments; recovery planning; basic engineering work; and logistics management.Additionally, Mr. Holness said the Government has committed to providing Dominica with a four-man technical and advisory support team to be led by the JDF’s Colonel, Jamie Ogilvie.This intervention, he said, is intended to assist with efforts to restore the integrity of Dominica’s national security systems and develop a plan for the recovery and rebuilding of that nation.The Government has also committed the equivalent of US$100,000 each to the redevelopment funds for Antigua and Barbuda, and Dominica.Meanwhile, Mr. Holness said members of the JDF were also deployed as part of the CARICOM Disaster Response Unit to provide immediate relief in Tortola, British Virgin Islands, in the aftermath of Hurricane Irma.He advised that they remain in that territory “working tirelessly” on behalf of Jamaica and CARICOM.Mr. Holness said the latest information he has received puts the death toll at 160, and the overall value of damage sustained in the Caribbean and United States at some US$100 billion.“We again extend our sympathies to all countries that were impacted by what has been described as the ‘ferocity and brutality’ of these recent hurricanes, which left a trail of destruction never before seen in the Caribbean. I have great confidence that, as a region, we will rebuild and not just replicate what was there before,” he said.The Prime Minister pointed out that this approach will be one of systematic renewal, with planned, structured development; with stronger homes and supporting amenities; and infrastructure that is strong, resilient and sustainable.“We pray for our brothers and sisters and remind them that out of adversity will come opportunity,” Mr. Holness said. Additionally, he said consequent on discussions with Dominica’s Prime Minister, Roosevelt Skerrit, the Government will explore the possibility of completing a bridge, construction of which the Jamaica Defence Force (JDF) commenced following extensive flood rains previously impacting that island. Mr. Holness said several persons opted to remain in those countries to assist with recovery and rebuilding efforts, citing the gesture as “commendable” and reflective of the “Jamaican spirit”. Prime Minister, the Most Hon. Andrew Holness, says all Jamaicans who requested evacuation assistance from hurricane-ravaged Eastern Caribbean islands have returned home. Story Highlights