mon Repos Market vendors are complaining that one week after the facility was shut down to facilitate repairs, there were no visible signs of any restoration done.However, Guyana Times was informed by the Communities Ministry that the Market was closed only to facilitate cleaning and sanitation of the premises and not repairs.It was reported that the Mon Repos Market was shut down for one week to allow repairs to be done and merchants were asked to remove themselves from the retail section. While some persons relocated across the Market, independently, to continue their vending, others waited for the restoration to be completed.However, when this publication visited the Mon Repos Market on Wednesday last, to view the repairs done, there was no discernible improvement. According to vendors, upon resuming their vending on Saturday, the employees of the Market Office were unable to answer questions that were posed to them as to why there was no significant change within the Market after so many days.Numerous vendors voiced that losses were incurred during the one week that they were not allowed to vend in their normal area. They highlighted that they were awaiting a response about the Market being shut down for ‘’insignificant reasons.’’‘’Look, you see anything in this market change? Is the same shabby conditions. Why they shut down the market last week? I suffer a huge loss last week ,man. Over the road barely gat space for couple people so the rest ah we had to sit and wait. You know how much customers I lose already because of this? Them locking down the market for some real stupid, stupid and insignificant reasons,’’ one angry merchant said.Another vendor said that after persons began questioning the actual reason for the Market being inactive for a week, the supervisor of the Market Office highlighted to them that they were given that time to sanitise and mend within their stalls. The merchant indicated that this was ‘’news’’ to them, since no one had so informedThe Mon Repos Market fencethem.‘’So after we start asking the supervisor why the Market shut down if they didn’t intend to do anything to it, she turn and said that the Market was shut down, so we could go in and clean and repair we stalls. This was news to all ah we ‘cause they never told us that. They said that we got to remove from the Market for a week cause they got to do repairs. And is not me alone hear that, is majority ah the Market.’’Meanwhile, when this publication met with an employee of the Mon Repos Market Office, she indicated that she was not allowed to speak to the media and refused to give any comment on the matter. The supervisor of this office is said to be on ‘’medical’’ leave.On Monday, it was highlighted by the Assistant of Minister of Communities, Raphael Hazel who spoke on behalf of the Minister, Ronald Bulkan, that according to the Works Committee Chairman of the Mon Repos Neighbourhood Democratic Council, Raghoo, the market was shut down to only facilitate cleaning.Hazel said that Raghoo relayed that no repairs were intended to be done at the Market during that time. He added that complaints were made by Raghoo that some vendors who had relocated across the road, refused to comply; hence, parts of the drains were not cleaned.“I spoke to the Works Committee Chairman of the NDC, Raghoo, and he said that it was a project undertaken by them from the 8th May to the 13th and it was just to clean the market. His exact words were “it was stink”. So they basically asked the vendors to be away from that Sunday to Friday just to clean it, wash it out and so,” the Business Minister’s Assistant said.
Related posts:US Sen. Bill Nelson: Costa Rica has a place in the future of space flight Ex-NASA astronaut Franklin Chang talks about ‘The Martian,’ Hollywood’s take on his VASIMR engine Gravitational waves: Are scientists about to open a new window on the universe? Crowdfunding campaign to orbit Costa Rica’s first satellite surpasses goal MIAMI – Astronomers hunting for another Earth have found what may be the closest match yet, a potentially rocky planet circling its star at the same distance as the Earth orbits the Sun, NASA said Thursday.Not only is this planet squarely in the Goldilocks zone — where life could exist because it is neither too hot nor too cold to support liquid water — its star looks like an older cousin of our Sun, the U.S. space agency said.That means the planet, which is 1,400 light-years away, could offer a glimpse into the Earth’s apocalyptic future, scientists said.Known as Kepler 452b, the planet was detected by the U.S. space agency’s Kepler Space Telescope, which has been hunting for other worlds like ours since 2009.“Kepler 452b is orbiting a close cousin of our Sun, but one that is 1.5 billion years older,” NASA said in a statement.Its star is four percent more massive than the Sun and 10 percent brighter.If the planet is rocky, and scientists believe that it has a better than even chance of being just that, then it could be in the midst of a fearful scenario, as the heat from its dying star evaporates Kepler 452b’s lakes and oceans.“If Kepler 452b is indeed a rocky planet, its location vis-a-vis its star could mean that it is just entering a runaway greenhouse phase of its climate history,” said Doug Caldwell, a Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) Institute scientist working on the Kepler mission.“The increasing energy from its aging sun might be heating the surface and evaporating any oceans. The water vapor would be lost from the planet forever,” he added.“Kepler 452b could be experiencing now what the Earth will undergo more than a billion years from now, as the Sun ages and grows brighter.” Planetary catalog The Kepler mission launched in 2009 to search for exoplanets, which are planets outside our solar system, particularly those about the size of Earth or smaller.“Today, and thousands of discoveries later, astronomers are on the cusp of finding something people have dreamed about for thousands of years — another Earth,” NASA said in a statement.On Thursday, NASA released the latest catalog of exoplanet candidates, adding more than 500 new possible planets to the 4,175 already found by the space-based telescope.“This catalog contains our first analysis of all Kepler data, as well as an automated assessment of these results,” said SETI Institute scientist Jeffrey Coughlin.The new catalog includes 12 candidates that are less than twice the diameter of Earth and which are orbiting in the habitable zones of their stars.Of those 12 new candidates, Kepler 452b “is the first to be confirmed as a planet,” NASA said.Kepler identifies possible planets by watching for dips in the brightness of stars, which could be caused by a planet passing between the star and the telescope.Other scientific tools are needed to judge whether the planet is gassy or rocky.The Kepler mission has cost NASA about $600 million, and the US space agency said in 2013 that two of its orientation wheels had lost function, leaving the space telescope beyond repair.But scientists have years to pore over the data it has returned in order to narrow the search for Earth-like worlds. Facebook Comments