U.S. Twitter Users Spend 2+ Hours per Month on Site

first_imgNew data from stat-tracking firm Experian finds that U.S. Twitter users are now spending two hours and 12 minutes per month on Twitter.com reading and replying to tweets. That’s up from one hour and 51 minutes last year. However, the time spent during any given Twitter session has declined. In November 2010, a typical Twitter session was 13 minutes, 12 seconds, down from last year’s average of 15 minutes, 12 seconds.This suggests that users are “seeking more frequent quick hits,” says Experian, “rather than spending longer periods of time reading through posts.”Average Visits Up, Year-over-YearThe new report also shows that the average number of visits is up year-over-year (data measured from November 2009 to November 2010). The average number of visits rose 37%, says Experian, from 7.3 visits per month in November 2009 to 10 visits per month as of November 2010.However, the raw numbers show a decline. In November 2009, 9.54 million U.S. adults visited Twitter.com during the past 30 days, while in November 2010, only 8.25 million did.This is the chart Experian posted, however. What’s with the dates “2013” and “2014?” That’s probably a mistake. We’re pretty sure they were looking at data from 2009 and 2010. Hey, typos happen. Let’s not go by the chart. In any event, declining visits to Twitter.com isn’t any reason for concern. Although Experian doesn’t make note of this, this is clearly more indicative of the growing number of mobile Twitter users who now primarily access Twitter via their phones (over 40% of tweets are posted from mobiles), as opposed to visiting the website Twitter.com from a computer. It also doesn’t track the numerous Twitter client applications currently in use, including official offerings from Twitter for devices like the iPhone, iPad, or Android and BlackBerry smartphones as well as the new desktop app Twitter for Mac.If anything, this data is only a slice of the overall pie. All it really shows is that Twitter remains popular, that popularity is growing, but accessing the site through a desktop browser is trending down. The Dos and Don’ts of Brand Awareness Videos Related Posts sarah perez A Comprehensive Guide to a Content Audit Guide to Performing Bulk Email Verification Facebook is Becoming Less Personal and More Pro… Tags:#NYT#twitter#web last_img read more

Aiming for Passivhaus in Boston

first_imgIt might have left a few people feeling especially uneasy about climate change, but the Northeast’s strangely dry, mild winter did at least allow construction to continue at a relatively brisk pace on Powahouse, a three-unit condominium going up on a corner lot in Boston’s Roxbury neighborhood.Excavation began on December 9. By January 23, a frost wall had been poured just outside the slab perimeter and the construction crew, led by local design-build firm Placetailor, had prepped a 2,000-sq.-ft. area inside the frost wall for the pouring of the ground-floor “raft” slab. The security fence surrounding the site had been draped with tarps. Powerful heaters were brought in to help warm the area, and 40 cubic yards of concrete were preheated and mixed with an accelerator to help the mixture set faster once it was poured into place.The pour was a success, the winter weather continued to more or less cooperate, and the pace of construction now has Placetailor predicting that the three-story building will be ready for occupancy by the end of August. Not long after that, Powahouse is expected to qualify for Passivhaus certification.Promising performance numbersDesigned in collaboration with Schneider Studio Design, the project originally included four units, notes Placetailor principal Simon Hare, but two of the units were sold early on to a single buyer and were then redesigned for the buyer into a townhouse-style home that, at about 2,000 sq. ft., comprises roughly half of the building’s interior floor space. The other two units, featuring floor plans that interlock with each other, were marketed by a Realtor and recently sold. One, Unit Y, is a 1,100-sq.-ft. two-bedroom that was priced at $279,000; the other, Unit X, is a 1,000-sq.-ft. two-bedroom that was priced at $247,000.Hare adds that, so far, the building appears to be on track to meet performance expectations. An initial blower-door test, conducted on May 4, showed 0.28 air changes per hour at 50 Pascal pressure difference. The project’s Passive House Planning Package modeling puts the under-slab insulation value at R-37 and R-21 around the slab edge. Exterior walls are R-59, the party wall is R-40, and the roof is a minimum of R-77.Placetailor went with Schuco SI82 triple-glazed, tilt-turn windows, Schuco doors for two of the main entries, and another Schuco door for access to a third-floor patio. Makrowin doors are used for one main entry and another patio-level entry. Each unit is equipped with a heat recovery ventilator – a Zehnder ComfoAir 350 for the large condo, a ComfoAir 200 for Unit X and one for Unit Y. Auxiliary heat will come from Mitsubishi Mr. Slim 9000-btu mini-split heat pumps – one for each unit.A project that blogs for itselfHare explained that a previous Placetailor project – the reconstruction of Pratt House, a former gunsmith shop built in Roxbury in the 19th century – caught the attention of an angel investor, who agreed to help back the builder should an opportunity emerge in Roxbury for a Passivhaus condo project. Three years later, that project materialized as Powahouse (a play on Powerhouse, with a Boston accent), with Placetailor serving as developer and builder.The project got another nudge forward with the early sale of the first two units, now combined into a four-bedroom and known as Unit Z, for $490,000. That price, Hare notes in an email to GBA, reflects a discount because the offer included a “very generous cash down payment.” At this point, Hare says, projected construction costs are $135 per sq. ft., excluding the cost of the lot and “soft costs” such as fees for consultants, design, zoning, management, and insurance.A Powahouse blog, including plenty of photos, has, with Placetailor’s help, created a “voice” for the building — a first-person (first-building?) narrative that highlights construction details and celebrates small victories. Click here for a look at the building’s development so far.last_img read more

William ensures his mother’s friends invited

first_imgPrince William has ensured that close friends of his mother late Princess Diana are invited for his marriage to Kate Middleton atWestminster Abbey here on Friday.India will be represented at the wedding by the country’s High Commissioner to Britain Nalin Surie. Among thereligious leaders invited for the marriage include Anil Bhanot, afounding member of the Hindu Council UK. According to The Sunday Times, Sir Elton John, who sang at Diana’s funeral, is on the list along with Tessa Green, who used to chair the RoyalMarsden foundation trust – the cancer specialist centre which had beensupported by Diana.Sir John Major, former prime minister who was appointed guardian to princes William and Harry when Diana died, and William’s friend Joss Stone, the singer who performed at the concert for Diana, are also on the list.Diana’s family, including her brother Earl Spencer and his fiancee Karen Gordon, will sit behind the Middletons and their friends at the abbey, rather than on the royal family’s side of the aisle.Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York, has not been invited.Among the foreign royals on the guest list are the Sultan of Brunei, PrinceAlbert II of Monaco and Princess Lalla Salma of Morocco.KingGeorge Tupou V, the ruler of the small Pacific nation of Tonga will also attend. The rulers of Middle Eastern countries are also invited. Theyinclude Crown Prince Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa of Bahrain.Besides Bhanot, the list of religious leaders and representatives attendingincludes Lord Sacks, the chief rabbi; Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O’Connor,archbishop emeritus of Westminster.Bogoda Seelawimala, acting head monk of the London Buddhist Vihara, will be among the guests. He is the first Buddhist monk to be invitedto a royal wedding in Britain. Seelawimala has already offered someadvice to the couple, recommending meditation as one of the keys to asuccessful marriage. “Discuss your problems and meditate together eachmorning,” he said.The world of sports and entertainment are well represented with a list that includes Rowan Atkinson, the comedian andfriend of Prince Charles, and Guy Ritchie, the film director friend ofthe couple.The sports stars include Mike Tindall, the England rugby player and fiance of Zara Phillips, William’s cousin; David Beckham, the footballer and his wife Victoria; Ian Thorpe, the Australian Olympic swimmer; Gareth Thomas, the Walesrugby player who has spoken publicly about his homosexuality; Sir CliveWoodward, the former coach of the England rugby team; and Simon Johnson, head of England’s failed 2018 World Cup bid.Mario Testino, whotook the couple’s engagement photographs will also attend along with Tom Bradby, the ITN journalist who carried out their engagement interview,and Ben Fogle, the television presenter.A selection of cabientministers and their spouses have been invited including Prime MinisterDavid Cameron, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg, Foreign SecretaryWilliam Hague and Home Secretary MsTheresa May. Ed Miliband, the Labourleader, will also attend.A war veteran who suffered near-fatal injuries including 75 per cent burns during anambush in Afghanistan will be at the royal wedding. Martyn Comptonserved alongside Prince William as a lance-corporal in the HouseholdCavalry.Also on the list are Susie Roberts, the widow ofWilliam’s friend Major Alexis Roberts who was killed in Afghanistan in2007, and Holly Dyer, whose sister Joanna, a close friend of William’sat Sandhurst, was killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq in 2007.Bryn and Emma Parry, founders of the charity Help For Heroes, and William’scolleague Sergeant Keith Best, a search and rescue winchman at RAFValley, are invited as well.advertisementlast_img read more

Deccan Chargers’ owners reject lone bid

first_imgA huge question mark hung against the debt-ridden Deccan Chargers’ future on Thursday after the owners of the Indian Premier League franchise rejected the lone bid they received. Now, the BCCI will decide the franchise’s fate on Saturday.The Deccan Chronicle Holdings Limited (DCHL) rejected the bid from the Hyderabad-based film production house PVP Ventures, owned by Potluri Vara Prasad. PVP, also the producers of the new Kamal Haasan-starrer Viswaroopam, reportedly bid Rs 900 crore for the franchise.A lenders’ consortium, led by ICICI Bank, Yes Bank and Axis Bank, could come into play now, after reportedly petitioning the BCCI that it should be allowed to run the franchise for at least one year. DCHL owes a reported Rs 4,000 crore to many lenders.DCHL, which had bought the franchise for $107 million at an auction in 2008 before the first edition of the IPL, rejected the bid as it reportedly didn’t like the terms of payment.”The bid that was received by DCHL met the BCCI’s eligibility and suitability criteria. The bid was then reviewed by DCHL who, in its discretion and with no role being played by BCCI, rejected the bid on the basis of the payment terms offered by the bidder,” said a BCCI statement.Though there were reports of media mogul Kalanidhi Maran of Sun TV evincing interest in buying the team, the network has denied them. Later, some prospective bidders, including the RPG group, too backed out. What could have deterred them was the issue of having to clear the massive dues owed by the current owners.The tender was floated on September 6 by DCHL, under the aegis of BCCI, and the process was monitored by the Bombay High Court-appointed MD Narvekar.The IPL governing council will discuss all options on Saturday when it meets in Chennai to decide on the future course of action. Floating of a new tender cannot be ruled out, though BCCI president N Srinivasan declined to comment, saying that it was an issue between the Board and DCHL. “The franchise is on (it exists). The BCCI has issued a notice to the franchise to clear certain defects. We have given them some time, but that is between BCCI and the franchise,” he told reporters.”One bidder was eligible from the BCCI’s point of view. But after opening the price bid, Deccan Chronicle decided that the price as well as the terms of payment was not acceptable. So, they rejected the bid.”On Saturday, there will be as many four BCCI meetings. Apart from the IPL governing council, the working committee and marketing committee will also meet to tackle all possible situations. A special general body meeting has also been called the same day.The process begins with the governing council, and if it takes any decision, it will have to be ratified by the working committee and possibly the general body.Deccan Chargers has not been able to pay salaries to its players and coaches for the 2012 IPL held in April-May.advertisementlast_img read more