At last week’s Boys and Girls’ Championships, the St Elizabeth Technical High School (STETHS) pair of Rayon Butler and Jauavney James surprised their rivals with a one-two finish in the Class One 800 metres.According to STETHS coach, Reynaldo Walcott, the choice to target gold in that event rested on careful study and preparation. Regarding Butler, he cited the decision to do just one individual event as a key factor.After Butler and James had produced the fastest Class One 800m times – 1 minute 50.24 seconds and 1:50.27 – at Champs since 1990, Walcott revealed that he had carefully watched the performances of Tyrese Reid of Spot Valley High School and of the St Jago High duo of Leon Clarke and Joel John-Pierre.He noted that Reid had run well early in the season and improved to 1 minute 51.11 seconds at the Carifta Trials. However, Walcott observed, “When I saw him at the Carifta Trials, I got the impression that they couldn’t go any faster based on how I looked at them.”He made a similar assessment of the St Jago boys at Central Championships. After seeing John-Pierre obstruct fast-finishing Christiana’s Agerian Jackson to preserve a lead held by Clarke, he deduced, “When I saw that they did, it still struck me as they seemed to be hitting a wall.”They seemed to be struggling to go faster than the 1:52,” was his verdict of a race won by Clarke, a 2015 World Under-18 800m finalist, in 1:52.46.That seemed to cement the decision to constrain Butler, a former Champs winner at 1500 metres for Holmwood Technical High School, to run only the 800m.”So when I looked at everything and based on how training was going, I told myself that if Butler does just one event he would have a shot at it because he would approach that race with fresh legs compared to others who would feel the need to double,” Walcot said on Monday.James did double in the 800 and the 400 metre hurdles, but the coach explained, “James has proven that he can do the double or at least handle the double in the past.”Walcott’s view was spot on target. as Reid, arrived at Champs with an injury niggle, Clarke and 1500m winner Akeen Colley of Rusea’s all did the 800/1500 double.James had the lead throughout most of the final with a fast-finishing Butler edging home on the line.”When the race ended, I was happy that they came 1-2.” Nevertheless, he had one reservation.”I couldn’t say I was happy that Butler won … because I coach both of them and I have a soft spot for both of them,” he confessed.
So far, IDG has approved 100 bloggers for the network, covering topics including security, mobile, networking and gadgets. IDG editors must review and approve each participating site.San Francisco-based tech industry search engine service Technorati is said to be launching its own blogger advertiser network. A Technorati spokesperson could not immediately be reached for comment. Independent tech bloggers may have a new ally in the online world. The International Data Group today announced the creation of the IDG TechNetwork, an online group that helps marketers place their ads on independent blogs.“IDG has been a media network for many years with over 400 owned and operated Web sites,” IDG TechNetwork vice president of sales and business development Kevin Normandeau wrote in an e-mail to FOLIO:. “Now, IDG is taking our knowledge of the technology channel and extending it to the benefit of our advertisers and top quality independent publishers and bloggers.”The IDG TechNetwork will represent independent technology Web sites and user groups to a stable of advertisers looking for exposure in carious technology categories. In return, IDG and publishers will evenly split ad revenues, Normandeau says, and publishers’ content will be distributed on relevant IDG media and partner Web sites.According to Normandeau, many independent publishers “do not have enough resources to generate the true revenue potential of their brands,” and this revenue partnership will help them “build their businesses.”
The Daily Brief itself has three different editions, all of which come out at 6:00 a.m. in their respective time zones: North America (Eastern time), Europe (Central European time), and Asia (Hong Kong time). Separate editorial teams hand off production of the newsletter in eight-hour increments, allowing uninterrupted, 24/7 coverage. That’s the message 15,000 advertising professionals, brand representatives, and marketers received in their inboxes early Monday morning at the start of the third day of Cannes Lions 2016, the largest annual gathering for the global advertising industry, taking place this week on the French Riviera. “Good morning, delegates!” “To me, it’s the best kind of media partnership,” Quartz president and publisher, Jay Lauf, tells Folio:. “We’re three and a half years old, and for a growing global brand, exposure at such a premiere event provides great value for us. But I think what we’ll also be able to do is provide great value to the attendees and the event itself by doing what we do really well, keeping them informed in intelligent ways.” The result was a daily newsletter delivered in the morning and designed to tell readers not just what happened while they were sleeping, but what to expect for the day ahead. Unlike most newsletter products, not all of the links go back to Quartz’s website, qz.com. In fact, most go to outside sources, even competitors. Four years, 16 million unique monthly readers, two international expansions, and one messaging-style mobile news app later, Quartz has become a prime embodiment of the “digital native” media brand archetype—thanks in no small part to its witty, informative, and intensely curated email newsletter, which now boasts more than 200,000 subscribers, according to the company. “One of the things we felt was an innovation was actually having human beings write and edit and curate the Daily Brief,” adds Lauf. “Rather than have it be sort of an automated scrape of headlines that you throw into an email, our writers and editors would put a lot of thought into things like the synopses—how do I make somebody really smart on this subject without them having to click through if they don’t want to?” “It comes to them,” Lauf says. “Our readers are often busy, they might often be distracted, they can often be regimented in their schedules, so the fact that you’ve got something you can rely on, that comes in at 6 a.m. every day. It’s at a time that it allows you to get smart before your day gets going.” And it has. If anecdotal evidence like social media love letters—or the fact that the Daily Brief’s format has since been replicated by competitors across the industry—does not suffice, consider this statistic: since its launch in 2012, Lauf says the Daily Brief has achieved a consistent unique open rate of around 40 percent, vastly outpacing industry norms of about half that figure. “It’s very deliberately user-first,” Lauf continues. “A lot of publishers give lip service to that, but don’t really deliver on it. We put ourselves in the shoes of the busy reader that we serve, who may not want an app or a newsletter that’s just another marketing vehicle to keep people inside the walled garden. It’s about making our readers smarter. If that means linking out to other sources, we believe that will come back to us in terms of loyalty.” He says the festival’s stature as an international gathering of marketers made it an obvious choice as a test-site for a special-edition Daily Brief. Quartz is, quite literally, a global brand, to the point that it originally required all of its journalists to be fluent in at least two languages. According to Lauf, the journalism team now speaks 35 languages fluently and, combined, has reported from over 115 countries around the world. Selecting email as a key channel in the media mix—the Daily Brief has been around since Quartz’s inception—may have seemed like an odd play for a brand that marketed itself as forward-thinking. For one, Lauf says, email was a widely overlooked mechanism for connecting with audiences, an automated marketing vehicle often existing solely to drive clicks back to publishers’ websites. Those who aren’t spending their week rubbing elbows with the rich and creative on the French Riviera can keep up to date with the Cannes-specific Daily Brief by subscribing here. Atlantic Media, the parent company behind the 158-year-old magazine The Atlantic, generated considerable buzz when it announced plans to launch a digital-only brand back in 2012. The sender: Quartz, Atlantic Media’s four-year-old digital outlet focused on global business news and analysis, which has developed a special version of its immesely successful Daily Brief newsletter solely focused on Cannes Lions. Simplicity and consistency are key, he adds. Consumers don’t have to scroll through their social feeds to find what they’re looking for. Tasked with producing the special Cannes-specific version of the Daily Brief is executive editor Zach Seward, Quartz’s VP of product. On top of the thousands of attendees who were automatically subscribed after registering for Cannes Lions, an additional 1,100 subscribers have signed on, looking to stay abreast of the festival’s latest developments, according to Lauf. “We thought that an email product shouldn’t just be headlines to drive you back to the website,” Lauf says. “Rather, we asked, ‘What would we want from an email product? How could an email we receive every morning make us smarter?'”
WILMINGTON, MA — Below are recent articles about Wilmington — published online between July 7, 2019 to July 14, 2019 — that residents should consider reading:Wilmington Town CrierRink planning flexibility limited by Lizzie McDermottOpen space plan update by Lizzie McDermottWilmington Town Crier sports stories can be read HERE.Wilmington AdvocateNoneWilmington PatchNoneLowell SunFinding ‘A happy accident’ by Emma MurphyNot your mother’s roller derby by Alana MelansonLike Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com. Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedWILMINGTON AROUND THE WEB: The Best Stories From Wilmington’s NewspapersIn “Community”WILMINGTON AROUND THE WEB: The Best Stories From Wilmington’s NewspapersIn “Community”WILMINGTON AROUND THE WEB: The Best Stories From Wilmington’s NewspapersIn “Community”
Walmart Stores Inc, the American retail chain, will have to adjust base salaries of employees working at its more than 1,400 stores across 21 states in America as a new minimum wage hike law is set to go into effect in January 2015.An internal memo sent to store managers of several Walmart outlets showed that there will be a change in pay structure and the minimum premium payable over low grade jobs will be equalized for both high and low end job holders at the stores, Reuters reports.Walmart is also set to combine its lowest three pay grades including cashiers, cart pushers and maintenance workers into one base rate.”Essentially that wage compression at the upper level of the hourly associate is going to help absorb that cost of the wage increase at the lower level,” a manager told Reuters requesting for anonymity.Walmart is reportedly working towards ensuring that “stores in the 21 states comply with the law,” Brooke Buchanan, a spokeswoman for the retail chain told the agency.Walmart has been embroiled in a wage and employee-treatment controversy for a long time.Employees feel overworked, disrespected and underpaid at Walmart and even though the retailer makes more than $16 billion every year, employees are averagely paid less than $25,000 a year, some authorities said. They have also accused the retailer of subduing employees who rightfully speak up for their rights.Last year, CEO Doug McMillan told reporters that less than 6,000 employees at Walmart were paid below the national minimum wage limit of $7.25 an hour. Since then, several states have lifted the bar to $10 an hour and now, the retail chain has to make the changes.The company said that improving health cover schemes and wages had increased operating costs by 3.5 percent in the latest quarter. Experts say it is tough to calculate the cost effect of the minimum wage-hike on Walmart’s balance sheet.
<< Previous PostNext Post >> Share IATA reports strong year for air travel demand, says “aviation is the business of freedom” GENEVA — In light of the U.S. immigrant ban that has sparked controversy and protests across the country, IATA, in its full-year global passenger traffic report, says that “aviation is the business of freedom” and that its social and economic benefits must be defended “from barriers to travel and protectionist agendas.”According to the report, air travel demand had a strong year in 2016, closing out the year on a high note with an 8.8% increase in December. Demand (measured in revenue passenger kilometres, or RPKs) rose 6.3% compared to 2015, well ahead of the 10-year average annual growth rate of 5.5%. Capacity also rose 6.2% compared to 2015, pushing the load factor up to a record full-year average high of 80.5%.“Air travel was a good news story in 2016. Connectivity increased with the establishment of more than 700 new routes. And a $44 fall in average return fares helped to make air travel even more accessible,” said Alexandre de Juniac, IATA’s Director General and CEO. “As a result, a record 3.7 billion passengers flew safely to their destination. Demand for air travel is still expanding.”More news: Transat calls Groupe Mach’s latest offer “highly abusive, coercive and misleading”De Juniac also added: “Our freedom to connect through air travel drives prosperity and enriches societies. That freedom can only be given its fullest expression when governments facilitate the movement of people and goods.”International passenger traffic rose 6.7% in 2016 compared to 2015, with all regions recording year-over-year increases in demand. Middle East carriers had the strongest regional annual traffic growth for the fifth year in a row, with RPKs expanding 11.8%. Asia Pacific carriers came in a close second with a demand increase of 8.3% compared to 2015.North American airlines had a good year as well, seeing demand rise 2.6% in 2016. Most of the growth occurred in the second quarter, and traffic was strongest on Pacific routes. In contrast, North Atlantic has been fairly flat. Capacity rose 3.3%, reducing the load factor for 0.5 percentage points to 81.3%.Domestic air travel rose 5.7% in 2016. Capacity rose 5.1% and load factor was 82.2%, up 0.5 percentage points over 2015. All major markets except Brazil showed growth, with India and China being the standout performers (RPK expansion of 23.3% and 11.7%, respectively). Tags: IATA Travelweek Group Thursday, February 2, 2017 Posted by
Twitter Law firm plans to launch shareholder class action over alleged SNC-Lavalin disclosure delay The firm says it appears SNC learned it would not be invited to negotiate a remediation agreement on Sept. 4, 2018, but did not tell shareholders for more than a month Barbara Shecter What you need to know about passing the family cottage to the next generation Join the conversation → Recommended For YouDollar firm on upbeat U.S. data; pound and euro hit the skidsU.S., Japan eye possible small trade deal by September -sourcesS.Korea says to unveil plans to ease dependence on Japan industriesIMF sees Vietnam’s economic growth slowing to 6.5% in 2019Asia refiners test the waters with exports of IMO 2020-compliant fuel More Facebook Email Featured Stories The Ontario law firm Strosberg Sasso Sutts LLP plans to commence a class action lawsuit as early as Tuesday on behalf of shareholders of SNC-Lavalin, the engineering firm already facing criminal corruption charges and now at the centre of a federal government controversy.The proposed lawsuit, which would have to be certified by a court to proceed, will allege SNC failed to meet timely disclosure obligations to shareholders enshrined in securities law, said Jay Strosberg, a partner at the Windsor, Ont.-based firm that specializes in class actions.“We’ve been retained and we’re going to start our proposed class action, probably tomorrow morning,” he said in an interview Monday.At issue is when the Public Prosecution Service of Canada denied the firm the opportunity to try to negotiate a remediation agreement — and thereby avoid criminal prosecution on fraud and bribery charges — and when this information was publicly disclosed. Here’s how a new escape route could open up for SNC-Lavalin Woes pile up for SNC-Lavalin, company at centre of political storm SNC-Lavalin being used as ‘a puck in a political hockey game’: CEO Strosberg said it appears from a media report over the weekend that the company learned it would not be invited to negotiate a remediation agreement on Sept. 4, 2018, but did not tell shareholders for more than a month, when a news release was issued the morning of Oct. 10, 2018.“If that information was communicated to the company on Sept. 4, we say that under securities law they would have had an absolute obligation to disclose it right way,” he said, adding that this obligation is triggered when there is a material change to the business and operations of a company.None of the allegations have been tested in court.Strosberg said his firm will argue that the immediate disclosure threshold was met, and illustrated by a significant drop in SNC’s share price in the wake of the Oct. 10 news release that disclosed the new information to shareholders.“The implications of (the Public Prosecution Service of Canada decision revealed by the company in October) are serious because what it means is there’s a prospect of a conviction, and if there’s a conviction, then the company isn’t eligible for federal contracts for 10 years,” Strosberg said.SNC shares, which were trading at $51.90 on Sept. 4, were little changed at $51.85 on Oct. 9 but fell more than 13 per cent to $44.86 on Oct. 10 on heavier-than-usual volume with more than four million shares changing hands.A company spokesperson did not return calls or an email seeking comment on the company’s disclosure.People are understandably upset Comment February 25, 20199:00 PM EST Filed under News Strosberg said the proposed class action would cover anyone who bought SNC-Lavalin stock between Sept. 4 and Oct. 10, 2018, and continued to hold at last some of the shares until after the Oct. 10 news release was issued.“Our office has been inundated with calls from shareholders,” he said. “People are understandably upset.”SNC’s legal troubles are at the heart of a controversy now enveloping the Liberal government of Justice Trudeau.His principal secretary Gerald Butts resigned just over a week ago, amid reports that former justice minister and attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould had been pressured to help Montreal-based SNC avoid criminal prosecution.Butts denied claims that he or anyone else in the Prime Minister’s Office pressured Wilson-Raybould, who was moved out of the justice role to veterans’ affairs before the controversy erupted. A man walks past the headquarters of SNC-Lavalin in Montreal.Paul Chiasson/The Canadian Press Reddit 4 Comments advertisement Sponsored By: Share this storyLaw firm plans to launch shareholder class action over alleged SNC-Lavalin disclosure delay Tumblr Pinterest Google+ LinkedIn ← Previous Next →